A Widow’s Intimate Story About Asbestos Awareness and Loss

Vintage box of asbestos fireproof material.

I lost my husband, Brian, to mesothelioma in 2001. The disease stemmed from his exposure to asbestos when he was a child.

His parents didn’t know about the dangers of asbestos because reports of its toxicity often were kept from the public.

But that’s not the case anymore.

Asbestos Awareness Week kicks off today and runs through April 7. The health hazards of asbestos are well known now. While the mineral is banned in many countries, it is still used in others. The risk of exposure has diminished, but it hasn’t vanished.

Brian’s exposure, diagnosis and death from mesothelioma are the reasons why there should be more awareness about asbestos and its hazards.

Writer

Lorraine Kember is the author of "Lean on Me," an inspirational personal account of her husband's courageous battle with mesothelioma. She is an accomplished public speaker in Australia and is passionate about sharing her journey with cancer. Her website can be found at www.lean-on-me.net.

2 Cited Article Sources

  1. State of Western Australia. (2015). SafetyLine Institute. Retrieved from: http://institute.safetyline.wa.gov.au
  2. EPA.gov. (1990, April). Asbestos in the Home: A Homeowner's Guide. Retrieved from: http://yosemite.epa.gov/r5/r5ard.nsf/2f86cbca09880b61862565fe00588192/e7b966d2cd03cc3c86256fc7006c5469!opendocument

More on This Topic

Get Your Free Mesothelioma Guide Chat live with a patient advocate now loading spinner