Celebrities Paint Masks for Mesothelioma Fundraising Event

Research & Clinical Trials
Reading Time: 3 mins
Publication Date: 11/19/2019
Fact Checked
Our fact-checking process begins with a thorough review of all sources to ensure they are high quality. Then we cross-check the facts with original medical or scientific reports published by those sources, or we validate the facts with reputable news organizations, medical and scientific experts and other health experts. Each page includes all sources for full transparency.
Reviewed

Asbestos.com is the nation’s most trusted mesothelioma resource

The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com has provided patients and their loved ones the most updated and reliable information on mesothelioma and asbestos exposure since 2006.

Our team of Patient Advocates includes a medical doctor, a registered nurse, health services administrators, veterans, VA-accredited Claims Agents, an oncology patient navigator and hospice care expert. Their combined expertise means we help any mesothelioma patient or loved one through every step of their cancer journey.

More than 30 contributors, including mesothelioma doctors, survivors, health care professionals and other experts, have peer-reviewed our website and written unique research-driven articles to ensure you get the highest-quality medical and health information.

About The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com

• Assisting mesothelioma patients and their loved ones since 2006.
  • Helps more than 50% of mesothelioma patients diagnosed annually in the U.S.
  • A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
  • 5-star reviewed mesothelioma and support organization.
Learn More About Us

Testimonials

"My family has only the highest compliment for the assistance and support that we received from The Mesothelioma Center. This is a staff of compassionate and knowledgeable individuals who respect what your family is experiencing and who go the extra mile to make an unfortunate diagnosis less stressful. Information and assistance were provided by The Mesothelioma Center at no cost to our family."
Lashawn
Mesothelioma patient’s daughter
  • Google Review Rating
  • BBB Review Rating

How to Cite Asbestos.com’s Article

APA

Povtak, T. (2021, May 3). Celebrities Paint Masks for Mesothelioma Fundraising Event. Asbestos.com. Retrieved December 3, 2022, from https://www.asbestos.com/news/2019/11/19/celebs-masks-mesothelioma-fundraiser/

MLA

Povtak, Tim. "Celebrities Paint Masks for Mesothelioma Fundraising Event." Asbestos.com, 3 May 2021, https://www.asbestos.com/news/2019/11/19/celebs-masks-mesothelioma-fundraiser/.

Chicago

Povtak, Tim. "Celebrities Paint Masks for Mesothelioma Fundraising Event." Asbestos.com. Last modified May 3, 2021. https://www.asbestos.com/news/2019/11/19/celebs-masks-mesothelioma-fundraiser/.

unMASKing the Cure for Cancer Gala

The goal of the Pacific Mesothelioma Center is to be the most innovative nonprofit research and cancer treatment organization in the world.

Its latest fundraising event is a perfect example.

As part of the Pacific Heart, Lung & Blood Institute, the Pacific Mesothelioma Center will play a major role in the unMASKing the Cure for Cancer Gala, an innovative fundraising idea once used by Prince Charles more than 20 years ago.

The Nov. 21 event, held at the UCLA Luskin Conference Center, includes the auctioning of eclectic masks that were hand-painted by various celebrities, including actors, artists, athletes and musicians.

The goal is to raise more than $200,000 for the research of mesothelioma and other cancers.

The Pacific Heart, Lung & Blood Institute has been doing a myriad of fundraising events the last two decades, but never anything like this.

Mark Hamill, Dwayne Johnson Among Contributors

The event will include live and silent auctions of more than 25 celebrity-painted masks. Many were invited to contribute by actor Jamie Foxx, an early supporter of the cause.

Celebrity painters for the unMASKing the Cure for Cancer Gala include:

• Mark Hamill (actor; “Star Wars” films)
  • Sir Anthony Hopkins (actor and director; “Silence of the Lambs”)
  • Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (wrestler and actor; “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”)
  • Eileen Davidson (actress, “Days of Our Lives”)
  • Sugar Ray Leonard (former boxing world champion)
  • Pat Boone (legendary singer)
  • Michelle Stafford (actress, “The Young and the Restless”)

Musical entertainment at the event will include Leonard, Coleman and Blunt, former lead singers of The Temptations, The Platters and The Drifters.

“This event will be different, even unique in lot of ways,” said Clare Cameron, executive director of the Pacific Mesothelioma Center. “It’s going to be so much fun and really help us raise awareness to what we do.”

PMC is the only 501 (C) (3) nonprofit medical facility in the U.S. that does its own in-house research for mesothelioma. Its ultimate goal is uncovering the elusive cure for this rare and aggressive cancer typically caused by exposure to asbestos.

“Fundraising is so vitally important to making progress with this disease. Without it, the doors would close,” Cameron said. “It allows us to do what we do.”

wristbands
Free Support Wristbands
Get your free mesothelioma awareness wristbands to show support.

Mesenchymal Stem Cell Research Is Key

One of PMC’s most exciting projects today involves novel mesenchymal stem cell research. While already being used to treat some autoimmune diseases, it is being studied today as a potential vehicle to carry gene and molecular therapies directly to mesothelioma tumor sites.

The strategy has the potential to increase survival and eliminate much of today’s standard-of-care treatment that includes chemotherapy and its powerful side effects.

Early research has shown mesenchymal stem cells could be utilized as an adjuvant to surgery, eliminating the microscopic tumor cells that often evade the surgeon.

The therapy is being studied with some types of lung cancer, along with coronary and cardiac diseases.

Dr. Robert Cameron (no relation to Clare Cameron), will be honored at the gala for his work as scientific advisor to the PMC.

His dedication to working with this disease has been virtually unmatched.

Robert Cameron is chief of thoracic surgery at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center and professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

He also has been a pioneer for more than two decades in developing the lung-sparing pleurectomy and decortication surgery that has changed the way mesothelioma is treated today.

Connect with a Mesothelioma Doctor
Find a Top Specialist Near You