Updated: July 20, 2020
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Visitors who submit contact information on our free information packets, monthly newsletter sign up and for our text-messaging service, or who contact Asbestos.com by email, telephone or other means, and who offer any personal information, including an email address, name, diagnosis, address, and phone number can trust their information will be held in confidence.
The telephone number displayed on the website connects visitors directly with Asbestos.com, and not any third-party call center, sponsor or law firm. We use your information to send you free information packets, treatment options, assist you on enrollment for clinical trials, send you a free wristband, connect you with a patient advocate who may be able to assist you in better understanding your condition, share relevant information via text messages and to send you a monthly newsletter if you choose to sign up to receive it. You may opt-out from receiving text messages by texting “STOP.” You may opt-out from receiving our monthly newsletter at any time by following the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of each newsletter or by contact us at email@example.com
Health On the Net Foundation (HONcode)
What Is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information that you provide to us that identifies you, personally, or that can be logically associated with you. This information may include your name, email and physical address and your telephone number. Depending upon the product or service you request, you may also be asked to provide additional information such as whether you have been diagnosed with a particular asbestos related illness.
Why Do You Need To Collect My Personal Information?
We use the personal information you supply to us to provide to you the service(s) or product(s) that you request. We may also use your personal and other information to enhance your experience on our website(s) by displaying content based on your preferences. We may “depersonalize” your personal information to enable us to use that information, aggregated with the information of others, for research, analysis and modeling purposes.
With Whom Do You Share My Information?
If you submit a request for a product or service, we will not share or sell the personal and other information you supply with any direct marketing or information collecting company. Your information will never be provided to a third-party company, such as a charitable, legal or medical facility, unless you specifically authorize a representative of Asbestos.com to do so on your behalf.
- We may provide your personal information to companies that provide services to help us with our business activities such as an email service provider to deliver our monthly newsletter. This company is authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
- In certain situations, Asbestos.com may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet law enforcement requirements. We may also disclose your personal information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, judicial proceedings, court orders and to enforce our Legal Notices or other agreements.
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
- If Asbestos.com is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or click path data. We do link this automatically collected data to other information we collect about you.
We partner with third parties to either display advertising on our website or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third-party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may elect to turn off cookies or use your browser’s privacy settings to mask your identity, or you may opt-out by the following consumer choice mechanisms.
- Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)’s self-regulatory opt-out page ( http://optout.aboutads.info/) and mobile application-based “AppChoices” download page( https://youradchoices.com/appchoices)
- European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA)’s consumer opt-out page (http://youronlinechoices.eu)
- Network Advertising Initiative (NAI)’s self-regulatory opt-out page(http://optout.networkadvertising.org/)
Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
How Do You Safeguard The Information You Collect?
The security of your personal information is a very high priority for us and we take a number of steps to safeguard it. Some of the measures we take are:
- Limiting access to personal information to those employees who are critical to the delivery of products and services to you.
- Implementing appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to guard against unauthorized access or use.
- Requiring appropriate consents and protections from our business partners before we share personal information with them.
Asbestos.com and its affiliates use commercially reasonable physical and technical security measures to protect all personal information in our possession. Sensitive information is encrypted using secure sockets layer encryption (SSL) from the time of your submission and while it is stored by us. We cannot, however, guarantee or warrant the absolute security of any system or that any information we hold will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
Security measures are in place to protect against theft, loss or misuse of information sent through the website, and Asbestos.com strives to maintain the integrity of these security measures. In the event, however, of a system compromise, Asbestos.com will take all reasonable steps to protect the integrity of its databases. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
How Long Do You Retain My Personal Information?
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
What Choices Do I Have?
You can always elect not to provide personal information to us, although if you do not complete and submit the information we ask for we may not be able to provide you with the most complete responses or you may not be able to access all the available features.
If you submit a testimonial to us, we will ask for your permission to post your testimonial prior to any public use. We will post your name as given to us in your testimonial. Please be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit as a testimonial to be posted can be read, collected, or used by the general public, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to include in any testimonial you choose to submit. If at any time you decide to remove your testimonial, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or postal mail.
Our Web site offers publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Social Media (Features) and Widgets
Links to Other Sites
This website contains links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by Asbestos.com. Please be aware that we, Asbestos.com, are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites.
We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy policies of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information.
A Special Note about Children’s Privacy
You must be at least 18 years old to use this website. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time with their children online and to be fully familiar with the websites visited by their children. We recognize the particular importance of protecting privacy where children are involved. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13. If a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information online, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us or call (888) 918-7298. Visit the Federal Trade Commission website for more information about the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
By filling out and submitting information on our website, you give us or one of our affiliates or business associates permission to contact you. We consider this permission not to be specific to mesothelioma services or resources, but also to other applicable products and services we may market and advertise in the future.
When you opt into receiving SMS text messages from us, you provide consent to receive text messages from our Patient Advocates and an automatic system. We will not share or use your mobile number for any other purpose. No protected health information will be transmitted or shared. Messaging and data rates from your mobile carrier may apply; however, The Mesothelioma Center does not charge any fees to receive messages or for any of our services.
Removing/Accessing Your Information
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to request that we no longer use your information to provide you services or updates on additional products, contact us. Additionally, we will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Upon request, Asbestos.com will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. If your personally identifiable information changes or if you no longer desire our service, you may update or amend your information with us or ask to have it removed from our database lists or production directory. Simply contact us by email or traditional mail. We will respond to your request to access within 10 calendar days.
Send a letter to:
1 S. Orange Ave, Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32801
Call: (888) 918-7298.
Send an email to:
Any information sent to us through email is not encrypted by us.
Notice to California Residents:
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which this website has disclosed certain information during the preceding year for those third-parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all requests, you must put the statement “California Shine the Light Privacy Request” in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that we are not responsible for requests that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
Notice to Vermont Residents
We will not share any personal information about you with other businesses to the extent prohibited by applicable Vermont law or to the extent your prior consent to share is required by applicable Vermont law. For purposes of compliance with the Vermont Consumer Protection Act, if you are a resident of the State of Vermont and would like to opt-out from the disclosure of your personal information to any third party for marketing purposes, please contact us at email@example.com.
Notice to Users Outside of the United States
This PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS supplements the information contained in our current Privacy Statement and applies solely to visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 855-247-9438.
- Visiting here
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?