Top Mesothelioma Treatment Centers
Top mesothelioma cancer centers across the U.S. partner with the best doctors who have years of experience treating mesothelioma. Tailored treatment is more likely to extend your life after a cancer diagnosis.
Because most nonspecialized cancer centers are unfamiliar with the complexities of this asbestos-related disease, they may not offer patients the best care. Mesothelioma cancer centers offer patients and their loved ones an experienced team of mesothelioma experts, support, palliative options and clinical trials for mesothelioma.
“There are a variety of decisions that need to be made by the physician treating the patient I think only come from experience,” Dr. David Sugarbaker, a trailblazer in mesothelioma treatment, told The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com. “And that experience can be gained in a center for treating mesothelioma.”
Find Top Cancer Centers Near You
Top Mesothelioma Treatment Centers in the United States
Cancer can be a difficult journey for patients and their loved ones. The network of cancer centers we work with has been providing support and resources for more than a decade. We ensure you have access to all the help you need to navigate this challenging time.
More than 1,000 patients and loved ones visit The Mesothelioma Center for help every year. One of our top priorities is getting patients in for treatment as soon as possible. We connect them to accredited cancer centers with multidisciplinary teams and robust support.
Top Cancer Centers by Diagnosis
Pleural mesothelioma patients need pleural experts.
“Because our specialists see many patients with mesothelioma, they’re able to make the correct diagnosis and come up with the best treatment for individual patients,” Dr. Jacques Fontaine, director of the Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center at Moffitt Cancer Center, told The Mesothelioma Center.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Dr. David Sugarbarker founded the International Mesothelioma Program at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center. Dr. Jeffrey Velotta treats patients at Oakland Medical Center, ranked as one of the best by U.S. News & World Report.
- Moffitt Cancer Center. Moffitt is the third-largest cancer center in the United States. It is also one of only two National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in Florida.
- Mount Sinai Hospital. The recently created Women’s Lung Cancer Program at Mount Sinai focuses on clinical expertise, research and community outreach.
- UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dr. Robert Cameron leads UCLA’s Thoracic Oncology Program within the world-renowned Lung Cancer Program.
Dr. Hedy Kindler, director of the University of Chicago Medicine Mesothelioma Program, spoke to The Mesothelioma Center about her father’s cancer journey. It sparked her passion to grow the center’s clinical research focus.
“So many of my patients are hard working and ready to enjoy their well-earned retirement,” Kindler said. “They deserve the best possible care.”
- Hillman Cancer Center. This NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center specializes in peritoneal mesothelioma care and is one of the U.S.’s largest cancer networks.
- Mount Sinai Hospital. Mount Sinai is home to the largest WTC Health Program Clinical Center of Excellence, providing long-term medical care to those affected by 9/11.
- Ridley-Tree Cancer Center. Dr. W. Charles Conway expanded the multidisciplinary mesothelioma team in 2017, focusing on peritoneal cancer.
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Sylvester is a renowned treatment center at the University of Miami in South Florida. It offers the HIPEC procedure and mesothelioma clinical trials.
- The University of Chicago Medicine. Dr. Hedy Lee Kindler directs the gastrointestinal oncology program and one of the world’s most extensive mesothelioma programs.
Dr. W. Charles Conway, director of surgical oncology at Ridley-Tree Cancer Center in Santa Barbara, California, told The Mesothelioma Center that mesothelioma centers could “make a difference for mesothelioma patients with hard work and the experience we have. We’re well-equipped to handle this specialized care here.”
How to Choose the Best Mesothelioma Treatment Center
When choosing a mesothelioma treatment center, consider your personal treatment needs and priorities. Ask questions about skilled specialists, emerging treatments and available support services. Which factors are most important to you?
- Access to Clinical Trials and Emerging Treatments. Consider a treatment center with a robust clinical trial program that may improve your life expectancy.
- Accreditation by National Review Boards. NCI-accredited mesothelioma treatment centers have the best resources and experts for specialty care.
- Multidisciplinary Treatment Teams. Surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation are offered at the nation’s top cancer centers as part of multimodal treatment for mesothelioma.
- Seek a Second Opinion. Consider a second opinion at a leading center. Many doctors misdiagnose mesothelioma since its symptoms can mimic other diseases.
- Virtual Appointment Availability. Distance to your treatment center shouldn’t be a limitation, and virtual visits can help you follow up regularly from your home.
The most crucial factor for some patients is location, said registered nurse and Patient Advocate Karen Selby.
“Often, families are willing to travel for care, but the patients themselves usually want to stay local,” she said. “I encourage scheduling a virtual consultation initially if they’re interested in a center far from home.”
The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com has worked with thousands of families to find the best treatment center to fit their needs. We’ve narrowed down the most critical criteria for choosing the top treatment centers in the nation.
The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com rigorously vets Mesothelioma Cancer Centers
How We Choose Top Cancer Centers
Since 2006, The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com has built relationships with more than 200 specialty mesothelioma centers across the United States. We use that experience to develop the criteria you and your family need to choose the best mesothelioma center for you.
- They’re award-winning for cancer care.
- Their health care teams take a multimodal approach.
- They participate in gold-standard clinical trials.
- They utilize the latest technology.
- Palliative care and counseling are available.
Finding the right cancer center for you can lead to better, personalized treatment plans. These mesothelioma centers also have specialized expertise in diagnosing mesothelioma. Patients often seek second opinions at these centers.
Benefits of Accredited Cancer Centers
When a cancer center has accreditation, it means it has met quality standards. It can also mean it has demonstrated expertise in mesothelioma. Accreditation reassures patients and their families.
Accredited centers have access to the latest therapies. They also offer clinical trials. Their expert teams will collaborate to develop a treatment plan for you.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Commission on Cancer (CoC)
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
Patients can expect the best care from an accredited cancer center. Accreditation provides peace of mind. It empowers patients to make informed decisions about their treatment journey.
Why Choose a Specialized Cancer Center for Mesothelioma Treatment?
A specialized cancer center has doctors with specific expertise. The medical teams at these centers have spent years developing their skills. They know the latest and best treatments available for this type of cancer. These centers also work with The Mesothelioma Center to make the process easier for you.
Once you select a mesothelioma cancer center, you must secure an appointment. This step might overwhelm you and your loved ones, but the Patient Advocates at The Mesothelioma Center are here to help. They will work with you to coordinate your scheduling for visits and procedures, including:
- Communication With Your Providers. The PAs communicate directly with your health care team and can answer any questions you have.
- Referrals. Some insurance plans require this step, and our Patient Advocates can assist you in obtaining a referral if necessary.
- VA Benefits. Our PAs assist patients with VA claims and insurance, working with your insurance provider to ensure you receive the necessary coverage and benefits.
The Mesothelioma Center can provide access to comprehensive care that addresses all aspects of your health and well-being. Our team of PAs plays an essential role in achieving this goal. Once your appointment is scheduled, our PAs ensure you continue to receive the care and support you need throughout your cancer journey.
Best Cancer Centers for Veterans
Veterans represent many asbestos cancer cases because of exposure during their service. The Veterans Administration network includes hospitals on par with the nation’s top facilities focusing on mesothelioma treatment.
Some top doctors at VA hospitals are leaders in innovative treatments at renowned cancer centers. For example, the director of the VA Boston Mesothelioma Program also serves as a thoracic surgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and as an instructor at Harvard Medical School.
Veteran Treatment Centers
- VA Boston Healthcare System
- VA West Los Angeles Medical Center
- Miami VA Healthcare System
- Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
- Atlanta VA Health Care System
Many benefits at VA centers compare to private hospitals. These include:
- Clinical trials
- Minimal copays
- Multidisciplinary teams
- Telehealth visits
For veterans who prefer care outside the VA network, the Veterans Choice Program offers that option.
“Patients can receive care outside of the VA while the VA covers the expense,” said Patient Advocate Danielle DiPietro of The Mesothelioma Center. “So, as a veteran patient, you’re entitled to civilian and VA resources, and we can help patients access both.”
Common Questions About Mesothelioma Cancer Centers
- Do all cancer centers treat mesothelioma?
No, not all cancers treat mesothelioma. Because this cancer is rare and aggressive, it requires specialized care from trained experts. A general cancer center is less experienced in treating mesothelioma and may misdiagnose your cancer. Only a top mesothelioma cancer center has the resources to provide the best care for asbestos-related cancer.
- How can I determine what treatments are provided at each cancer center?
Treatment availability at a cancer center depends on the physicians who practice there. Top mesothelioma centers have expert teams that can administer chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, immunotherapy and more. The Mesothelioma Center can connect you with specialists at these centers who offer the treatments that work best for your cancer diagnosis.
- How expensive is mesothelioma cancer treatment?
Mesothelioma cancer treatment can cost thousands of dollars each month. Financial assistance is available to mesothelioma patients to cover the cost of treatment. The Mesothelioma Center’s Patient Advocates connect patients to dozens of financial aid programs that help pay for the best mesothelioma care available.
- What accreditations should I look for when choosing a treatment center?
Organizations that accredit mesothelioma cancer centers include the National Cancer Institute, the Association of American Cancer Institutes and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Accreditation by these organizations ensures access to specialists and advanced treatment options. They also provide mental health services for patients and families.