Dr. Jeffrey VelottaCardiothoracic Surgeon at Kaiser Permanente
Dr. Jeffrey Velotta is a renowned thoracic surgeon at Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center, serving pleural mesothelioma patients in the Bay Area and on the West Coast. He also leads breakthrough research in new ways to improve mesothelioma patient outcomes.
Get to Know Dr. Jeffrey Velotta
Thoracic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Velotta is paving the way for mesothelioma surgery advancements at Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center. Velotta has years of experience in cardiac and thoracic surgery.
A top mesothelioma doctor, Velotta also serves as a clinical assistant surgical professor at the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine.
His research has focused on:
- Novel and minimally invasive lung cancer surgery techniques
- Esophageal cancer surgery developments
- Image-guided surgeries for thoracic cancers
- Multimodality therapies
- Mesothelioma treatment center regionalization
Velotta graduated from the George Washington University School of Medicine and finished his general surgery residency at the University of California Los Angeles Medical Center. He also completed a postdoctoral cardiothoracic surgery research fellowship at Stanford School of Medicine.
His fellowship training in cardiothoracic surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital at Harvard Medical School included guidance from renowned mesothelioma specialist and pioneer Dr. David Sugarbaker.
Velotta is board certified in general surgery, thoracic surgery and cardiac surgery from the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
Specialties of Dr. Jeffrey Velotta
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
Dr. Jeffrey Velotta’s Experience and Medical Education
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (Clinical Assistant Surgical Professor)
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Fellowship)
- UCLA Medical Center (Residency)
- George Washington University Medical School (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery (Thoracic Surgery, Cardiac Surgery)
- American Board of General Surgery (General Surgery)
Publications of Dr. Jeffrey Velotta
- Okabe, K. et al. (2021, October 1). The Results of Multimodal Treatment With Extrapleural Pneumonectomy for Female Epithelioid Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- Ossowski, S. et al. (2021, October 1). Improving Outcomes in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma in an Integrated Health System. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- Ely, S. et al. (2021, March 19). Effect of thoracic surgery regionalization on long-term survival after lung cancer resection. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Ely, S. et al. (2020, March 14). Regionalization of Lung Cancer Surgery Improves Outcomes in an Integrated Health Care System. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.