Mesothelioma and Asbestos Law Firms
A mesothelioma law firm will best serve mesothelioma patients and their loved ones because these law firms specialize in asbestos law and mesothelioma cases. Law firms can get compensation for patients and loved ones by filing a mesothelioma lawsuit, asbestos trust fund claim and other benefit claims.
Start Your Mesothelioma Trust Fund Claim
We've helped thousands of families access their share of the $32 billion in trust funds.
- Claims can exceed $1 million
- Get money faster than filing a lawsuit
- No court appearance necessary
- No out-of-pock costs
See if You Qualify for Compensation
Written by Joe Lahav, Esquire Edited By Walter Pacheco Legally Reviewed By William A. Davis
Asbestos.com is the nation’s most trusted mesothelioma resource
The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com has provided patients and their loved ones the most updated and reliable information on mesothelioma and asbestos exposure since 2006.
Our team of Patient Advocates includes a medical doctor, a registered nurse, health services administrators, veterans, VA-accredited Claims Agents, an oncology patient navigator and hospice care expert. Their combined expertise means we help any mesothelioma patient or loved one through every step of their cancer journey.
More than 30 contributors, including mesothelioma doctors, survivors, health care professionals and other experts, have peer-reviewed our website and written unique research-driven articles to ensure you get the highest-quality medical and health information.
About The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com
- Assisting mesothelioma patients and their loved ones since 2006.
- Helps more than 50% of mesothelioma patients diagnosed annually in the U.S.
- A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- 5-star reviewed mesothelioma and support organization.
My family has only the highest compliment for the assistance and support that we received from The Mesothelioma Center. This is a staff of compassionate and knowledgeable individuals who respect what your family is experiencing and who go the extra mile to make an unfortunate diagnosis less stressful. Information and assistance were provided by The Mesothelioma Center at no cost to our family.LashawnMesothelioma patient’s daughter
How to Cite Asbestos.com’s Article
Lahav, J. (2023, May 22). Mesothelioma and Asbestos Law Firms. Asbestos.com. Retrieved May 31, 2023, from https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma-lawyer/law-firm/
Lahav, Joe. "Mesothelioma and Asbestos Law Firms." Asbestos.com, 22 May 2023, https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma-lawyer/law-firm/.
Lahav, Joe. "Mesothelioma and Asbestos Law Firms." Asbestos.com. Last modified May 22, 2023. https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma-lawyer/law-firm/.
What Is a Mesothelioma Law Firm?
Mesothelioma law firms focus on asbestos litigation. They specialize in handling personal injury lawsuits, wrongful death lawsuits and trust fund claims for patients and families facing mesothelioma.
Hiring an experienced asbestos law firm is your family’s best step toward securing mesothelioma compensation. These specialized firms tend to focus solely on asbestos cases and offer unparalleled expertise in this area of law.
- Asbestos Databases: These firms have developed extensive resources to help build your case, including asbestos product databases and historical case records.
- Complex State Laws: Asbestos litigation laws are challenging to understand and vary by state, making a nationwide firm the best way to secure compensation.
- Streamlined Process: An asbestos firm’s background and knowledge translate into a more effortless experience for you and your family throughout the legal process.
- Substantial Rewards: A significant amount of money is at stake in a mesothelioma lawsuit, which can cover treatment costs, end-of-life expenses, travel, lodging and more.
Mesothelioma law firms have developed a deep knowledge and emotional understanding of mesothelioma and how stressful it is to navigate cancer treatment and health insurance. They understand how a terminal cancer diagnosis affects families and how important it is to spend precious time with loved ones.
National firms have litigated cases and trust fund claims nationwide. Choosing a nationwide firm gives you access to a network of attorneys with asbestos case expertise in each state. They will determine the proper jurisdiction for filing your claim within the legal time limitation to maximize your recovery.
Top Mesothelioma Law Firms
The top mesothelioma law firms offer a network of experienced attorneys and a winning track record. Attorneys at top asbestos law firms are accessible, compassionate and sensitive to what you and your family are going through.
They will investigate your asbestos exposure and manage every aspect of your case, allowing you to focus on what matters most: treatment and your health.
Weitz & Luxenberg700 Broadway
New York, NY 10003
- $8.5 Billion Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- Rated #1 by U.S. News & World Report for 2022
Simmons Hanly Conroy1 Court Street
Alton, Illinois 62002
- $8.9 Billion Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- Rated a Tier 1 Law Firm in 2022 by U.S. News & World Report
Meirowitz & Wasserberg1040 Sixth Avenue 12B
New York, NY 10018
- $200 Million Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- Rated in the Top 10 Asbestos and Mesothelioma Trial Lawyers
Nemeroff8226 Douglas Avenue Suite 740
Dallas, TX 75225
- $500 Million Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- Rated a “Hall of Fame” law firm by The Legal 500
Cooney-Conway120 N Lasalle Street Suite 3000
Chicago, IL 60602
- $7 Billion Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- Rated a National Tier 1 Firm by U.S. News & World Report in 2022
Galiher DeRobertis & Waxman820 Mililani Street Suite 505
Honolulu, HI 96813
- $600 Million Recovered
- Serves Clients Nationwide
- 30+ Years Experience
It is important to feel comfortable with the mesothelioma law firm you choose. They offer free consultations so you can learn about their attorneys and what makes their firm unique.
The top firms have a strong record of success securing mesothelioma compensation. This kind of compensation helps families afford medical treatment, deal with lost wages and handle other expenses, such as in-home nursing care.
How to Choose a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Mesothelioma law firms specialize in asbestos cases. When choosing your mesothelioma law firm, the first thing to look for is their years of experience and a history of success. The top asbestos law firms in the U.S. have a team of qualified attorneys who understand what you and your loved ones are facing and can give you confidence when pursuing your legal options.
Lawyers Who Understand Mesothelioma and Asbestos
Asbestos law firms have intimate knowledge of the different types of asbestos-related diseases and understand how this impacts the patient and the legal process. The teams of experts at these firms advocate for expedited trial dates and quick settlements based on the state asbestos laws that apply to your claim. They’ll also conduct depositions as soon as possible to avoid statutes of limitations, letting you focus on your medical care.
Ability to Document Asbestos Exposure
Firms specializing in asbestos have a wealth of deep industry resources and proprietary asbestos databases filled with information about asbestos products and contaminated job sites. Attorneys at asbestos firms will investigate your case in depth to discover proof of your claim. They’ll use this information and their extensive databases to connect your mesothelioma diagnosis to prior asbestos exposure.
No Upfront Legal Costs and a Free Case Evaluation
Not every firm offers a free case evaluation, but dedicated mesothelioma law firms typically provide free evaluations, leveraging their nationwide network of attorneys. It is more challenging for local firms to provide this service because they operate on a smaller scale. The best firms also work on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay for their legal services if they don’t win your case.
Record of Winning Large Verdicts and Settlements
National firms tend to have the best track record of securing compensation for those exposed to asbestos. For example, Weitz & Luxenberg won a multimillion-dollar settlement in 2021 for a Navy veteran who died of mesothelioma. Simmons Hanly Conroy recovered $34 million in 2019 from Ford Motor Company for a mechanic with mesothelioma.
A Lawyer Who Makes You Feel Comfortable
Mesothelioma law firms understand that travel is difficult when you’ve been diagnosed with cancer. One of the most significant benefits of choosing a nationwide firm is its willingness to travel to you, with more scheduling availability than local firms. A good legal team will provide examples of its successes and explain fees upfront. Mesothelioma attorneys regularly update their clients on progress and often have the experience to anticipate their client’s needs.
Working With a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Your attorney will guide you through each step of the lawsuit and help you understand your legal options. They will listen to your concerns and address any questions about the process. The attorney will gather evidence to prepare your case, file a claim in the proper jurisdiction and handle any responses from defendants.
Filing a mesothelioma lawsuit after death is more complicated than a personal injury claim, but a qualified attorney can go over options for filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
Steps in the Mesothelioma Legal Process
The legal process begins with finding a mesothelioma law firm and scheduling a consultation so you can learn more about the firm and they can learn more about your case.
- Free Consultation: The best mesothelioma law firms offer free consultations and case reviews. During this meeting you can ask questions about the firm’s history of success, and the firm will ask you about the patient’s diagnosis and work history.
- Documenting Exposure History: If the law firm believes you have a case, they will start to build it by gathering evidence to support your claim. In addition to a lawsuit, they may recommend you consider a claim with an asbestos trust fund or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Filing Claims: Once your case is built and supported by evidence, your lawyer will file the claim in the proper state or jurisdiction or with the appropriate asbestos trust fund. Your claim may be valid in multiple states depending on several factors, including the statute of limitations.
- Discovery Process: A discovery period will follow for lawsuits, or a claim review will follow for trust fund claims. Your lawyer will handle every aspect of the legal process, and they will coach you through any interviews or depositions you may need to provide.
- Compensation Distribution: If your claim is successful, your lawyer will most likely be the one to distribute compensation to you. You may choose between a lump sum or receiving payments in installments.
If you have questions about the legal process, you should speak with a lawyer to learn more about it and how federal and state laws may impact your case.
Asbestos Litigation Experts by State: Find Local Law Firms
Asbestos litigation laws vary by state, and many of the nation’s top mesothelioma law firms are licensed to practice in multiple states throughout the U.S. Knowledge of local asbestos laws and state statutes of limitations are essential to winning cases in any jurisdiction.
Firms that practice nationwide have handled cases in many states, giving them experience processing claims both nationally and on a state level. This expertise helps them develop substantial lawsuits that move smoothly through the legal system.
Asbestos litigation laws are complex, and each state has its own laws that greatly impact plaintiff outcomes. Nationwide firms have the most knowledge and experience securing compensation in every state. Choosing one of these firms connects you to a network of attorneys with expertise in each state’s asbestos laws, and they will offer the best advice on where to file your claim.
Common Questions About Hiring a Mesothelioma Law Firm
- How long do I have to hire a mesothelioma law firm?
The time limits on mesothelioma cases vary by state law and are known as statutes of limitations. These statutes often range from one to three years after the date of a mesothelioma diagnosis or the death of a loved one. If you miss the chance to file, you may have the option to file in another state that offers more time. Make sure you speak with an attorney specializing in your type of claim to get specific answers about the applicable statute of limitations.
- Can a family member hire a law firm for an asbestos case?
Yes, legal decisions after the death of a loved one to mesothelioma fall to the estate representative. The estate representative can be a family member or friend named by the decedent or appointed by the court. Family members can file an asbestos claim after death in a wrongful death lawsuit. Rules and limitations for wrongful death claims vary by state.
- What’s the difference between a law firm specializing in asbestos and one that doesn’t?
An asbestos law firm specializes in asbestos law and mesothelioma cases. These firms typically employ mesothelioma lawyers with years of experience in asbestos cases and a track record of successful outcomes. A law firm that doesn’t specialize in asbestos won’t have access to the best asbestos databases and may incorrectly file complicated claims, which could delay or significantly reduce the compensation received.