About the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Houston is home to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, which was voted No. 1 in cancer care in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals eight times between 2001 and 2011.
The cancer treatment center stands out as a true powerhouse thanks to National Cancer Institute (NCI) grants and other funds totaling more than $547 million.
Founded in 1941 as a part of the University of Texas System, MD Anderson seeks to achieve cancer history through its emphasis on cancer research, treatments and prevention. As one of the nation’s 40 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, this hospital maintains the highest standards of excellence in patient care, education, basic science, clinical research and cancer prevention.
Leader in Mesothelioma & Lung Cancer
This institution’s accumulated success is apparent in its diagnosis and treatment of all stages of lung and chest cancers as well as related conditions such as pericardial and pleural mesothelioma.
Its Thoracic Center is staffed with leading cancer specialists such as Dr. Anne Tsao, director of the mesothelioma and thoracic chemoradiation programs and an authority in the research and treatment of mesothelioma and head and neck cancers.
The team also includes Dr. Stephen Swisher, chair of the department of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery and a renowned figure in lung and esophageal cancer research and treatment.
Mesothelioma Treatment Options at MD Anderson
Lung cancer and mesothelioma may require multiple treatments, and these diseases often don’t respond to conventional therapies. As part of the center’s multidisciplinary approach, doctors and other specialists regularly collaborate to discuss new and advanced technologies and techniques.
These experts have access to the latest diagnostic approaches as well as advanced and minimally invasive surgery techniques, such as:
- Drug therapies targeting specific cancer cells
- Advanced bronchoscopic imaging
- Endobronchial and esophageal ultrasound
- High resolution CT scanning
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
Research Programs & Clinical Trials
Research is crucial at this hospital, as illustrated by its 12 NCI-awarded Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) grants. MD Anderson physicians and scientists participate in approximately 600 research projects that cover various cancers. They are also involved in a number of clinical trials to better diagnose, prevent, and treat all forms of cancer. Additionally, the center provides a database of current trials for patients to explore and apply.
In 2010, an estimated 105,000 patients visited the 546-bed cancer center. The institution and its different locations throughout Texas, the Southwest and internationally employs about 18,000 people, including physicians, scientists, nurses, allied health professionals and faculty members.
Doctors In this Hospital
Disclaimer: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has no professional affiliation with Asbestos.com.
Share this article
Last Modified December 3, 2018
6 Cited Article Sources
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. (n.d.). Facts & History. Retrieved from: https://www.mdanderson.org/about-md-anderson/facts-history.html
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. (n.d.). Institutional Profile. Retrieved from: http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/facts-and-history/institutional-profile/index.html
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. (n.d.). Thoracic Center. Retrieved from: http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/care-centers-and-clinics/care-centers/thoracic/index.html
- U.S. News & World Report. (n.d.). Best Hospitals for Cancer. Retrieved from: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. (n.d.). Anne S. Tsao, M.D. Retrieved from: http://faculty.mdanderson.org/Anne_Tsao/Default.asp?SNID=1980221595
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. (n.d.). Stephen G. Swisher, M.D., F.A.C.S. Retrieved from: http://faculty.mdanderson.org/Stephen_Swisher/Default.asp?SNID=1806315031