Dr. Jonathan Wesley RiessDirector of the Thoracic Oncology Program at UC Davis Health
Dr. Jonathan Riess is the medical director of the Thoracic Oncology Program at UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center in Sacramento, California, a leader in advancing treatment through the use of targeted, immunotherapy drug combinations.
Get to Know Dr. Jonathan Wesley Riess
Dr. Jonathan Riess was named medical director of the Thoracic Oncology Program at UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center in 2021. He leads a multidisciplinary team of world-class clinicians treating a wide range of malignancies, including pleural mesothelioma.
Reiss has earned a reputation for advancing treatment through the use of targeted immunotherapy combinations and novel clinical trials.
He specializes in lung diseases and head and neck cancers. His Thoracic Oncology Program handles an array of research and clinical services, including novel therapeutic approaches for rare cancers such as mesothelioma.
“Mesothelioma can often be a very challenging cancer, but we are making advances in how to better treat it,” Riess said. “We hope to build upon the recent success of early immunotherapy, and optimize outcomes for patients with this disease. I would highly recommend patients with mesothelioma seek out an academic center like ours to get the very best multidisciplinary care.”
Riess also serves on the Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer/Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma/Thymomas and Thymic Carcinomas Panel for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
Specialties of Dr. Jonathan Wesley Riess
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Head and neck cancers
- Medical oncology
- Esophageal cancers
- Clinical trials
- Targeted therapy
Dr. Jonathan Wesley Riess’ Experience and Education
- UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Stanford University School of Medicine (Fellowship)
- UC San Francisco (Residency)
- Mulago National Referral Hospital, Uganda (Residency)
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Internal Medicine (hematology, medical oncology)
- Adi Gazdar Translational Research Lectureship Award (2016)
- Addario Lung Cancer Foundation and Van Auken Foundation Young Innovator in Lung Cancer (2014)
- NIH K12 Career Development Award, UC Davis School of Medicine (2013)
- Stanley S. Bergen Medal of Excellence, Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine (2006)
Publications of Dr. Jonathan Wesley Riess
- Yu, H.A. et al. (2021, November). Biomarker-Directed Phase II Platform Study in Patients With EGFR Sensitizing Mutation-Positive Advanced/Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Whose Disease Has Progressed on First-Line Osimertinib Therapy (ORCHARD). Clinical Lung Cancer.
- Riess, J.W. et al. (2021, October). Genomic profiling of solid tumors harboring BRD4-NUT and response to immune checkpoint inhibitors. Translational Oncology.
- Semrad, T.J. et al. (2021, August). Phase I study of alisertib (MLN8237) and weekly irinotecan in adults with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacology.