Dr. Joshua R. SonettThoracic Surgeon
Dr. Joshua Sonett is the highly acclaimed chief of general thoracic surgery and director of the Price Family Center for Comprehensive Chest Care at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center in New York City.
Get to Know Dr. Joshua R. Sonett
As chief of general thoracic surgery at Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. Joshua Sonett has been instrumental in making the thoracic surgery section one of the most respected departments in the country.
Sonett is best known for his work on the multidisciplinary treatment of lung and esophageal cancers while pioneering innovative, minimally invasive surgical techniques.
His team is one of only a few in the country to employ a combination of maximal chemotherapy, surgical therapies and radiation for locally advanced lung malignancies.
Sonett’s work in developing new, extended donor criteria for lung transplantations has attracted considerable praise for helping to alleviate shortages.
He also has expertise in aggressive surgery for pleural mesothelioma.
In 2005, Sonett received considerable national attention when he operated on former President Bill Clinton, following up as part of a quadruple bypass procedure.
Specialties of Dr. Joshua R. Sonett
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Lung cancer
- Lung transplantation surgery
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Mediastinal tumors
Dr. Joshua R. Sonett’s Experience and Medical Education
- Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine (M.D.)
- University of Massachusetts (Residency)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Fellowship)
Awards and Certifications
- Thoracic and cardiac surgery certificates
- Humanitarian Award, Chesed of New Square
- Best Doctors, New York Magazine (2001-2016)
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer, Castle Connolly (2014)
- Barbara Neibauer Celebration of Life Award, Foundation for Thymic Cancer (2014)
Publications of Dr. Joshua R. Sonett
- Singh, G. et al. (2016, January). Minimally invasive radical thymectomy. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Biscotti, M., Sonett, J. & Bacchetta, M. (2015, February). ECMO as Bridge to Lung Transplant. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.
- Sternberg, D. & Sonett, J.R. (2007, June). Surgical Therapy of Lung Metastases. Seminars In Oncology.