Get to Know Dr. Konstantin H. Dragnev
Medical oncologist Dr. Konstantin Dragnev is the associate director for clinical research at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center. He serves as principal investigator and administrative aid for numerous studies that have helped advance the treatment of cancer.
His clinical work includes decades of experience treating lung cancer, mesothelioma, esophageal cancer and several other thoracic malignancies.
Dragnev is a major reason the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center has a reputation as an international leader in the field. He joined the staff in 1999 as a professor at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. He also has served as interim deputy director of the cancer center.
“Dr. Dragnev’s leadership has been critical to the success of our clinical trials program,” said Dr. Duane Compton, dean of the Geisel School of Medicine. “He exemplifies the very best in how we work to translate discoveries in the basic sciences into more effective and less toxic treatments.”
Dragnev is currently part of three studies involving lung cancer. Much of his work in the past decade has revolved around uncovering novel treatments to help lung cancer patients who previously had not responded to standard-of-care therapy.
Specialties of Dr. Konstantin H. Dragnev
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal cancer
- Molecularly targeted therapies
- Clinical trials
Dr. Konstantin H. Dragnev’s Experience and Medical Education
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (Fellowship)
- National Cancer Institute (Fellowship)
- Baylor College of Medicine (Residency)
- District Hospital, Lukovit, Bulgaria (Residency)
- Higher Institute of Medicine, Sofia, Bulgaria (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Irene Heinz Given Professor in Pharmacology
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor (2019, 2020 and 2021)
- Medical Oncology Board Certification
- Hematology Board Certification
Publications of Dr. Konstantin H. Dragnev
- Bernhardt, E. et al. (2020, June 12) Molecular matching and treatment strategies for advanced state lung cancer at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center: A three-year review of a Molecular Tumor Board. Practical laboratory medicine.
- Zhang, T. et al. (2020, June 10). Proliferative potential and response to nivolumab in clear cell renal cell carcinoma patients. OncoImmunology.
- Afzal, M.Z. et al. (2019, May 7). Clinical outcomes in non-small cell lung cancer patients receiving concurrent metformin and immune checkpoint inhibitors. Lung Cancer Management.
- Afzal, M.Z., Dragnev, K.H. & Shirai, K. (2019, March 1). An extended overall survival analysis of pemetrexed and carboplatin with or without pembrolizumab as first-line therapy for advanced non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer. Annals of Translational Medicine.
- Dragnev, K.H. et al. (2003, January). Lung cancer prevention: the guidelines. Chest.