Get to Know Dr. Robert M. Barone
Long-time surgical oncologist Dr. Robert Barone has been a pioneer in the development of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the treatment of mesothelioma cancer.
Barone is the founder of Oncology Associates of San Diego and the director of surgical oncology services for Sharp Healthcare. He also is a clinical professor of surgery at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine.
He treats gastrointestinal tract tumors, sarcoma, liver and pancreatic cancers, along with gynecological disorders.
As a long-time innovator, Barone is credited with developing the hepatic infusion pump for the delivery of chemotherapy directly into the liver, and the implantable port used for drug distribution.
Barone’s Oncology Associates of San Diego provides complete personalized care, including detection, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up for cancer.
Specialties of Dr. Robert M. Barone
- Cytoreductive surgery
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Gastrointestinal oncology surgery
Dr. Robert M. Barone’s Experience and Medical Education
- Oncology Associates of San Diego
- University of California San Diego, clinical professor of surgery
- Veterans Administration Hospital, San Diego
- University of Illinois College of Medicine, assistant professor of surgery
- West Side Veterans Administration Hospital, Chicago
- Naval Regional Medical Center, Oakland, California
- Samuel Merritt Hospital, Oakland
- Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (Fellowship)
- University of Illinois Hospital (Residency)
- State University of New York, Buffalo School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Surgery
- Board of Medical Examiners
- Top Doctors, San Diego Magazine
- Cancer Trial Support Units, National Cancer Institute
- Physician Honoree, Jennifer Diamond Foundation
- Chicago Surgical Society Award for Surgical Research
Publications of Dr. Robert M. Barone
- Low, R.N., Barone, R.M. & Rousset, P. (2019, February 28). Peritoneal MRI in patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC: History, clinical applications, and implementation. European Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Low, R.N. & Barone, R.M. (2018, July). Imaging for Peritoneal Metastases. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America.
- Katz, M.H. & Barone, R.M. (2003, July). The rationale of perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the treatment of peritoneal surface malignancies. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America.
- Low, R.N., Chen, S.C. & Barone, R. (2003, July). Distinguishing benign from malignant bowel obstruction in patients with malignancy: findings at MR imaging. Radiology.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?