Get to Know Dr. Sandeep Khandhar
Cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Sandeep J. Khandhar fills multiple leadership roles as director of the Thoracic Oncology Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Virginia.
He also is a member of the community based Virginia Cancer Specialists group, which is spread across nine locations throughout the northern part of the state.
Khandhar, who has practiced in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area since 2007, believes strongly in the multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to treating his patients.
As a lung cancer specialist, he works closely with medical oncologists and radiation oncologists to help deliver the most up-to-date treatment for every patient he sees.
Khandhar treats a wide variety of malignancies, including mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive cancer caused by asbestos exposure. Much like lung cancer, mesothelioma treatment options largely depend on how much the cancer has spread.
In his leadership role, Khandhar has helped steer the innovative growth of lung cancer treatment on a national level. He also sits on the advisory boards of leading medical device companies, making sure that Virginia Cancer Specialists is on top of the latest, cutting-edge technology.
Specialties of Dr. Sandeep Khandhar
- Thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Lung cancer
- Vascular surgery
- Pleural mesothelioma surgery
Dr. Sandeep Khandhar’s Experience and Medical Education
- Virginia Cancer Specialists
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- University of Texas Health Science Center (Fellowship and residency)
- Duke University Hospital (Fellowship)
- Northwestern University School of Medicine
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Doctors
- Washingtonian, Top Doctors
- American Registry, Compassionate Doctor
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
Testimonials for Dr. Sandeep Khandhar
Dr. Alex Spira, director of the Virginia Cancer Specialists Research Institute: “His surgical expertise is a great addition to our lung cancer team. The complexity of lung diseases requires a multidisciplinary team approach.”
Publications of Dr. Sandeep Khandhar
- Folch, E. et al. (2019, March). Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy for Peripheral Pulmonary Lesions: One-Year Results of the Prospective, Multicenter NAVIGATE Study. Journal of Thoracic Oncology
- Mayor, M. et al. (2018, November). Implementing a thoracic enhanced recovery with ambulation after surgery program: key aspects and challenges. Journal of Thoracic Disease.
- Mahajan, A., et al. (2018, August 13). Successful endobronchial treatment of a non-healing tracheoesophageal fistula from a previous histoplasmosis capsulatum infection using decellularized porcine urinary bladder matrix. Journal of Surgical Case Reports.