Dr. Shanda H. BlackmonThoracic Surgeon and Medical Director of User Experience at Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Dr. Shanda Blackmon is an innovative thoracic surgeon who uses minimally invasive techniques in treating patients with lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Innovative thoracic surgeon Dr. Shanda Blackmon specializes in the use of minimally invasive procedures. She treats patients for a variety of malignancies, including lung cancer, pleural mesothelioma and esophageal cancer.
Blackmon is the principal investigator of a clinical trial for mesothelioma patients at the Mayo Clinic, studying novel intrapleural cryotherapy that triggers an anti-tumor response before surgery.
As an adjuvant treatment for mesothelioma, cryotherapy involves dissipating tumors by freezing them with controlled nitrogen vapors, a procedure that has shown effectiveness with several other cancers.
Blackmon is a key member of the Mayo Clinic Lung Cancer Program and a leader in the development of novel surgical procedures for esophageal cancer, achalasia and mesothelioma.
She has expertise in robotics and other minimally invasive techniques that have helped the Mayo Clinic maintain its status as one of the nation’s finest treatment centers.
Blackmon joined the Mayo Clinic and its team of specialists in 2015 after building the thoracic surgery program at Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, Minnesota.
Specialties of Dr. Shanda H. Blackmon
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Pancoast tumors
- Thymic tumors
- Mediastinal tumors
- Robotic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery
Dr. Shanda H. Blackmon’s Experience and Medical Education
- Mayo Clinic Minnesota
- Methodist Hospital, St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- Baylor College of Medicine (Fellowship)
- Georgia Baptist Hospital/Atlanta Medical Center (Residency)
- Morehouse School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in thoracic and cardiac surgery
- Board certified in general surgery
- Thoracic Champion Team Member, Mayo Clinic
- Who’s Who in America
- Ventures Innovation Program Award
- Innovation Accelerator Prototype Development Award
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Dr. Shanda H. Blackmon
- A clinical trial studying the use of neoadjuvant intrapleural cryotherapy and its ability to trigger substantial anti-tumor immunity prior to surgery for mesothelioma cancer.
Publications of Dr. Shanda H. Blackmon
- Brown, L.B., Cori, F. & Blackmon, S.H. (2020, December). Surgical staging and resection of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Journal of Thoracic Disease.
- Cerfolio, R.J. et al. (2020, March 22). Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy: A Consensus Statement. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Abdelsattar, Z.M. & Blackmon, S.H. (2019, January). Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy: pulled in many directions. Journal of Thoracic Disease.