Mesothelioma Care at UVA Cancer Center
University of Virginia Cancer Center has an entire team devoted to a high level of care for malignant mesothelioma, with 13 mesothelioma specialists on staff. It was the first center in the state of Virginia to be designated by the National Cancer Institute as a Comprehensive Cancer Center.
UVA Cancer Center was founded in 1901, 75 years after the University of Virginia was established in Charlottesville. It includes a medical center, school of medicine, school of nursing and health sciences library.
Cancer patients may visit the Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center in Charlottesville. There are three other locations across central Virginia, including clinics in Fishersville, Culpeper and Pantops.
UVA Cancer Center provides full lung cancer care, including surgery, chemotherapy, lung cancer screenings, radiation, immunotherapy and advanced lung cancer treatment. The staff uses a team approach in which doctors work across specialties to offer personalized treatment plans.
UVA Cancer Center is one of 72 cancer centers in the country to receive a special designation by the National Cancer Institute. This means that the UVA Cancer Center meets high standards for transdisciplinary, state-of-the-art research that focuses on creating new and improved approaches to prevent, diagnose and treat all forms of cancer.
As an NCI-designated facility, UVA Cancer Center also conducts ongoing research studies and clinical trials that can range from basic laboratory research to clinical assessments of new cancer treatments.
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials at UVA Health System
- A study comparing the effects of chemotherapy combined with the immunotherapy drug Durvalumab to treat pleural mesothelioma.
Awards & Recognitions
- U.S. News & World Report rated UVA Health’s cancer services as “high performing” for 2022-2023. This means that UVA Health System is in the top 10% of the country when it comes to cancer care.
- UVA’s lung cancer surgery, colon cancer surgery and ovarian cancer surgery procedures are also ranked as “high performing.”
- The facility is the only cancer center in Virginia listed in Becker’s Hospital Review’s top 100 hospitals and health systems with great oncology programs.
- UVA Health System’s cancer center clinic also received the 2020 Pinnacle of Excellence Award from health care company Press Ganey.