Dr. Barry C. GibneyProfessor of Surgery at The Medical University of South Carolina
Dr. Barry Gibney is a well-respected thoracic surgeon at the prestigious Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center in Charleston. He treats patients with lung cancer, esophageal cancer and malignant mesothelioma.
Get to Know Dr. Barry C. Gibney
Thoracic surgeon Dr. Barry Gibney talks often about the importance of patients and families understanding and contributing to the multidisciplinary approach to treatment that has been so successful at the Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center.
He is part of a team approach that includes specialists and subspecialists seeing each patient.
“Cancer care is daunting and complex,” Gibney said. “My patient care philosophy is that this needs to be a team-based approach. Teams are only as successful as their members. By involving you in shared decision making, we have a better understanding of us, as well as better outcomes.”
Gibney is a key member of the Lung and Thoracic Program at the Medical University of South Carolina, collaborating regularly with oncologists, radiologists and pathologists in treating his patients.
As an assistant professor of surgery in the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Gibney sees patients in all stages of lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma. He also treats esophageal diseases such as achalasia, reflux and paraesophageal hernias. He has extensive experience with minimally invasive surgery.
Along with treating patients at the Hollings Cancer Center, Gibney also sees them in nearby Murrells Inlet at the MUSC Health cardiopulmonary office and at MUSC Health at Tidelands.
Specialties of Dr. Barry C. Gibney
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Benign esophageal disease
- End-stage lung disease
- Thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
Dr. Barry C. Gibney’s Experience and Medical Education
- Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Fellowship)
- Penn State University, Hershey Medical Center (Residency)
- Nova Southeastern University (D.O.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- South Carolina State Medical License
- American Chemical Society Fellow
Publications of Dr. Barry C. Gibney
- Gibney, B.C. et al. (2022, January 1). Should Lung Cancer Screenings Be Suspended During a Pandemic? The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Blanding, W.M. & Gibney B.C. (2021, May 15). Commentary: Engineering Organs: The Science of the Future, Remains in the Future. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Felmly, L.M. & Gibney, B.C. (2020, November 25). Atrioesophageal fistula from percutaneous ablation for atrial fibrillation. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Gibney, B. & Denlinger, C.E. (2018, October 13). This side up. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.