Dr. Mariam AlexanderPhysician in the Hematology/Oncology division at the Medical University of South Carolina
Medical oncologist Dr. Mariam Alexander treats patients as part of the Lung and Thoracic Cancer Program at the Medical University of South Carolina, where she also serves as an assistant professor.
Get to Know Dr. Mariam Alexander
Dr. Mariam Alexander is a thoracic oncologist playing a key role in the multidisciplinary treatment of lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma at the Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center.
Alexander joined the team of doctors in 2019 after completing her fellowship training at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City.
She has expertise in the use of immunotherapy and different targeted therapies that allow her to better personalize treatment. She also is involved in five clinical trials involving lung cancer, allowing her patients the option to explore potentially groundbreaking new treatments.
Alexander is part of the weekly tumor board meetings at Hollings, where surgeons, oncologists, radiologists and pathologists come together to collaborate on the treatment of each patient individually.
“We have so many options today available for our patients,” Alexander said. “We can tailor treatments for each individual, provide the latest cutting-edge therapy. We want to help patients get through this very challenging time of their lives.”
The Hollings Cancer Center is one of just 71 National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers in America and the only one in South Carolina. It is dedicated to offering the most innovative treatments available.
Specialties of Dr. Mariam Alexander
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Targeted therapies
- Breast cancer
Dr. Mariam Alexander’s Experience and Medical Education
- Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center
- Montefiore Medical Center at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Fellowship)
- SUNY Upstate Medical University (Residency)
- Saba University School of Medicine and University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board Certified in Medical Oncology
- Board Certified in Hematology
- South Carolina State Medical License
Publications of Dr. Mariam Alexander
- Alexander, M., Kim, S.Y. & Cheng, H. (2020, November 11). Update 2020: Management of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Lung.
- Alexander, M. & Wrangle, J. (2020, November 1). Can We MIRror the Efficacy of Immune Checkpoints With miRNAs? Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- Alexander, M. et al. (2020 July 28). Leptomeningeal Metastases in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Optimal Systemic Management in NSCLC With and Without Driver Mutations. Current Treatment Options in Oncology.