Dr. Eric LukMedical Oncologist at Ochsner Health
Thoracic oncologist Dr. Eric Luk is part of a multidisciplinary program that has shown effectiveness in the treatment of pleural mesothelioma at the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Get to Know Dr. Eric Luk
Dr. Eric Luk specializes in thoracic oncology and the treatment of lung cancer, pleural mesothelioma, and head and neck cancers at the Ochsner Health Center – West Bank in New Orleans. He also sees patients with various central nervous system cancers.
Luk is one of three medical oncologists at Ochsner who work with mesothelioma patients. He joined specialists Dr. Suma Reddy and Dr. Daniel Johnson, along with thoracic surgeon Dr. Brian Pettiford and others, in the multidisciplinary program.
He is known for his clinical research and was lauded at the national CHEST annual meeting for his recently published paper involving the BAP1 genetic mutation that can make a person more vulnerable to developing mesothelioma cancer.
In 2021, Luk was named an associate program director for Ochsner’s Hematology Oncology fellowship program. Luk joined the Ochsner staff in 2020 after completing his hematology oncology fellowship.
Specialties of Dr. Eric Luk
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Central nervous system cancers
- Head and neck cancers
Dr. Eric Luk’s Experience and Medical Education
- Ochsner Medical Center
- Ochsner Health System (Fellowship)
- University of Massachusetts Medical School (Residency)
- Tulane University School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in internal medicine, hematology and medical oncology
- CHEST Foundation COVID-19 community-based grant recipient
- American Society of Hematology (Member)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (Member)
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (Member)
Publications of Dr. Eric Luk
- Luk, E. & Kute, B. (2020, October 1). Malignant Mesothelioma and Germline Heterozygous BAP1 Mutation in a Young Woman Presenting with Recurrent Pleural Effusions and Worsening Pneumothorax after Talc Pleurodesis. CHEST.
- Jong, M., Dong, A. & Luk, E. (2017, September 19). Design-based research on teacher facilitation practices for serious gaming in formal schooling. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning.
- Steinberger, A.E. et al. (2016, April). Characterizations of Clinical and Therapeutic Histories for Men with Prostate Cancer-Specific Mortality. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer.