Dr. Daniel JohnsonMedical Oncologist at Ochsner Health
Innovative medical oncologist Dr. Daniel Johnson is the deputy director of medical oncology for the Precision Cancer Therapies Program at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans. He specializes in novel immunotherapy for the treatment of thoracic diseases.
Get to Know Dr. Daniel Johnson
Dr. Daniel Johnson is a medical oncologist and clinical investigator at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans. He treats lung cancer and malignant pleural mesothelioma, often utilizing novel immunotherapy.
Johnson and the specialists at Ochsner have helped advance the growing use of immunotherapy by developing strategies to overcome resistance to the treatment and prevent resulting toxicities.
As deputy director of medical oncology for the Precision Cancer Therapies Program, his research often focuses on designing and implementing clinical trials, several of which now involve immunotherapy and thoracic disease.
“Immunotherapy has changed the fight against cancer,” Johnson said. “Patients who come in feeling hopeless with very advanced disease should know there is hope out there with immunotherapy.”
Johnson, who has been lauded for his personalized approach to care, has spent much of his life in the New Orleans area, returning there after his fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Specialties of Dr. Daniel Johnson
- Targeted therapy
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Head and neck medical oncology
- Clinical trials
Dr. Daniel Johnson’s Experience and Education
- Ochsner Medical Center
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (Fellowship)
- LSU Health Sciences Center (Residency and internship)
- LSU New Orleans School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Healthgrades Honor Roll
Publications of Dr. Daniel Johnson
- Maslov, D.V. et al. (2021, May 17). Timing of steroid initiation and response rates to immune checkpoint inhibitors in metastatic cancer. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer.
- Safa, H. et al. (2019, November 21). Immune checkpoint inhibitor related myasthenia gravis: single center experience and systemic review of the literature. Journal for Immunotherapy of Cancer.
- Abdel-Wahab, N. et al. (2019, April 16). Checkpoint inhibitor therapy for cancer in solid organ transplantation recipients: an institutional experience and a systemic review of the literature. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer.
- Kim, S.K. et al. (2017, August 22). Successful treatment of arthritis induced by checkpoint inhibitors with tocilizumab: a case series. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.