Get to Know Dr. Hitesh Batra
Pulmonologist Dr. Hitesh Batra joined University of Alabama Birmingham Health in 2015. He founded the Interventional Pulmonology and Pleural Disease program there and participates in the multidisciplinary treatment of patients with mesothelioma.
Batra also serves as the fellowship director for Interventional Pulmonology at UAB. He treats patients with various lung diseases and respiratory issues.
He works closely with specialists such as oncologists, radiologists and thoracic surgeons in helping those diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma. He is part of the Pulmonology, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine division, as well as an associate professor at UAB.
Batra specializes in the latest minimally invasive techniques now being used to help patients. Prior to joining UAB, he completed an advanced fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Specialties of Dr. Hitesh Batra
- Lung disease
- Pleural diseases
- Interventional pulmonology
- Critical care medicine
- Central airway obstruction
Dr. Hitesh Batra’s Experience and Education
- University of Alabama Birmingham Health
- University College of Medical Sciences, India (M.D.)
- Louisiana State University Medical Center (Residency)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Advanced fellowship)
- UAB Hospital (Fellowship)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in critical care, internal medicine and pulmonary disease
- American College of Chest Physicians (Member)
- American Medical Association (Member)
- American Association of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology (Member)
Publications of Dr. Hitesh Batra
- Mallow, C. et al. (2019). Safety and diagnostic performance of pulmonologists performing electromagnetic guided percutaneous lung biopsy (SPiNperc). Asian Pacific Society of Respirology.
- Li, F.J. et al. (2015, April 2). Heme oxygenase-1 corexit 9500A-induced respiratory epithelial injury across species. PLOS One.
- Batra, H. & Antony, V.B. (2015, February). Pleural mesothelial cells in pleural and lung diseases. Journal of Thoracic Disease.
- Batra, H. & Antony, V.B. (2014, August 1). The pleural mesothelium in development and disease. Frontiers in Physiology.