Dr. Benjamin WeiThoracic Surgeon
Dr. Benjamin Wei is a cardiothoracic surgeon and an associate professor of surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, specializing in minimally invasive procedures.
Get to Know Dr. Benjamin Wei
Dr. Benjamin Wei specializes in video-assisted and robotic-assisted thoracic surgeries, often using those skills to treat lung and esophageal cancer.
Wei also sees patients with pleural mesothelioma and other tough-to-treat malignancies. His expertise includes organ procurement for lung transplantation and chest wall reconstruction.
He performs surgery for esophageal motility disorders, paraesophageal hernias and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
“We get patients the treatment they need in the least invasive way possible,” Wei said.
As an associate professor, Wei also serves as director of the University of Alabama at Birmingham Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency program, where he has developed multiple resources for surgical trainees.
He joined other specialists at the UAB medical program in 2013 after completing a fellowship at the Duke University Medical Center.
Specialties of Dr. Benjamin Wei
- Thoracic surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Organ procurement, lung transplantation
Dr. Benjamin Wei’s Experience and Medical Education
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Medicine
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (M.D.)
- Duke University Medical Center (Fellowship)
- New-York Presbyterian Hospital – Columbia (Residency)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Surgery (2011)
- Premier’s Award for Health and Medical Research
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Benjamin Wei, M.D.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the effectiveness of the immunotherapy combination nivolumab and ipilimumab, also known as Opdivo and Yervoy, respectively, on rare tumors such as pleural mesothelioma.
Publications of Dr. Benjamin Wei
- Kumar, R. & Wei, B. (2019, March 27). The Difficult Esophageal Conduit. Surgical Clinics of North America.
- Linsky, P. & Wei, B. (2017, September 30). Robotic lobectomy. Journal of Visualized Surgery.
- Wei, B. & Cerfolio, R.J. (2017, August 1). Robotic Lobectomy and Segmentectomy: Technical Details and Results. Surgical Clinics of North America.
- Wei, B. & Cerfolio, R. (2016, August 8). Robotic thymectomy. Journal of Visualized Surgery.