Dr. Hugh G. AuchinclossThoracic Surgeon
Dr. Hugh G. Auchincloss is a thoracic surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital who specializes in robotic procedures and other minimally invasive techniques to treat a range of chest disorders.
Get to Know Dr. Hugh Auchincloss
Dr. Hugh Auchincloss has developed a special interest in treating patients with lung and pleural diseases such as malignant mesothelioma.
He joined the Massachusetts General Hospital Division of Thoracic Surgery in 2018, following in the footsteps of his father, Hugh Auchincloss Jr., an international pioneer in the field of organ transplantation.
As a third-generation surgeon, Auchincloss has established his own niche today with robotic surgery and a minimally invasive approach to treating patients. It often leads to quicker post-surgery recovery and shorter hospital stays.
Auchincloss is part of a thoracic surgery program at Massachusetts General Hospital and a multidisciplinary team that designs an individualized plan for each patient it sees. The program is one of the most experienced in the world today at treating lung cancer with genetic mutations.
His clinical interests also include esophageal cancer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, achalasia, thymoma, tumors of the mediastinum and the surgical treatment of myasthenia gravis.
Specialties of Dr. Hugh Auchincloss
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Tracheal surgery
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Pleural diseases
Dr. Hugh Auchincloss’ Experience and Medical Education
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Surgeon)
- Harvard Medical School (M.D.)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Residency and fellowship)
Dr. Hugh Auchincloss’ Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- General Thoracic Surgical Club
Publications of Dr. Hugh Auchincloss
- Loehrer, A. et al. (2016, April). Impact of Expanded Insurance Coverage on Racial Disparities in Vascular Disease: Insights From Massachusetts. Annals of Surgery.
- Auchincloss, H. & Wright, C. (2016, March 8). Complications after tracheal resection and reconstruction: prevention and treatment. Journal of Thoracic Disease.
- Auchincloss, H. & Donahue, D. (2015, November). Prevention and Management of Nerve Injuries in Thoracic Surgery. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.
- Auchincloss, H. & Morse, C. (2013, January). Tracheal disruption from invasive pretracheal lymphadenopathy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.