Get to Know Dr. Jeffrey Ward
Dr. Jeffrey Ward is a medical oncologist playing a key role in the multidisciplinary treatment of patients with thoracic malignancies, including lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma, at the renowned Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center.
Ward, who has been recognized for his personalized approach to treatment and his doctor/patient relationships, has been part of the Siteman team of specialists for more than a decade through his earlier internship, residency and fellowship.
Siteman is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in Missouri, known for turning scientific discoveries into innovative treatments.
“There is nothing that can’t be done at Siteman,” Ward said proudly. “We have cutting-edge techniques. We have clinical trials. We are going to pick the right treatment options for every individual patient. Patients are not treated just by me, but by a network of physicians. We are a very collaborative group.”
As an assistant professor of medicine at Washington University School of Medicine, Ward has focused his research on immunotherapies that have changed the way many cancers such as mesothelioma are treated today.
Ward is involved in several clinical trials, including one with Tumor Treating Fields and non-small cell lung cancer, and another studying the effectiveness of a neoantigen vaccine and small cell lung cancer.
“Drugs that have come out of early research really have benefited my patients today,” he said. “I expect we will continue to make new discoveries. I think some of the best discoveries made in the laboratory haven’t yet been translated into patient care, but those days are coming, and faster than they ever did before.”
Specialties of Dr. Jeffrey Ward
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Clinical trials
Dr. Jeffrey Ward’s Experience and Medical Education
- Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center
- Physician Scientist Training Program, Washington University School of Medicine (Fellowship)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine (Residency)
- State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse (M.D., Ph.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in oncology and internal medicine
- HemOnc Today Next Generation Innovator (2018)
- Physician Scientist Training Program, Washington University School of Medicine (2016)
- Matthew Arquette Academic Achievement Award (2015)
- AHA Heart-Saver Hero Award (2013)
Publications of Dr. Jeffrey Ward
- Devarakonda, S. et al. (2021, September 30). Genomic Profiling of Lung Adenocarcinoma in Never-Smokers. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Bagadia, P. et al. (2021, July 1). Bc16-Independent In Vivo Development of Functional Type 1 Classical Dendritic Cells Supporting Tumor Rejection. Journal of Immunology.
- Wells, D.K. et al. (2020, October 29). Key Parameters of Tumor Epitope Immunogenicity Revealed Through Consortium Approach Improve Neoantigen Prediction. Cell.
- Ferris, S. et al. (2020, August 12). CDC1 prime and are licensed by CD4+ T cells to induce anti-tumor immunity. Nature.