Get to Know Dr. Alexander Patterson
Dr. Alexander Patterson is a thoracic surgeon at Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center and a professor of surgery at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He has clinical expertise in lung transplantation, lung volume reduction, esophageal cancer and other malignancies of the chest, including malignant pleural mesothelioma.
From 2005 to 2014, he served as the chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine. He is known internationally as part of the surgical team in Toronto that performed the world’s first successful adult lung transplant in 1983, laying the groundwork to build a highly regarded lung transplant program at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
For decades, Patterson has been heralded for his leadership ability, mentoring younger physicians, residents and fellows, along with teaching advanced surgical techniques. He was one of the first surgeons in the country — decades ago — to emphasize the need for a multidisciplinary approach to treatment and for building a comprehensive program.
To recognize his longtime contributions, Washington University in 2018 created an endowed distinguished chair in his name, one of the highest honors bestowed upon a clinical scientist. For his work, he has been heralded as a surgical trailblazer in the field of transplantation, but also for his research and scientific advances.
Patterson earned his medical degree from Queens University in Kingston, Canada. He did a residency at the University of Toronto and a fellowship at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He has been a member of nearly 40 professional associations worldwide and has held numerous important leadership positions, including president of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery.
Specialties of Dr. Alexander Patterson
- Pleural and lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Triple board certified in thoracic, general and vascular surgery
Dr. Alexander Patterson’s Experience and Medical Education
- Queens University (M.D.)
- Queens University, University of Toronto (Residencies)
- John Hopkins, University of Toronto (Fellowships)
Dr. Alexander Patterson’s Awards and Certifications
- Endowed Distinguished Chair created in his name, Washington University (2018)
- Earl Bakken Scientific Achievement Award, Society of Thoracic Surgeons (2014)
- Jacobson Innovation Award, American College of Surgeons (2013)
- President’s Lifetime Achievement Award, Barnes-Jewish Hospital Foundation (2009)
- Medal in Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (1987)
Publications of Dr. Alexander Patterson
- Takahashi, T. et al. (2020, Jan. 1). Comparison of outcomes in lung and heart transplant recipients from the same multiorgan donor. Clinical Transplantation.
- Patterson, G.A. (2019, October 9). Discussion. Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Bribriesco, A. & Patterson, G.A. (2018, August 1). Management of Postpneumonectomy Bronchopleural Fistula: From Thoracoplasty to Transsternal Closure. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.
- Balsara, K.R. et al. (2018, April 4). A single-center experience of 1500 lung transplant patients. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?