Dr. Daniel MillerThoracic Surgeon
Dr. Daniel L. Miller is an internationally renowned thoracic surgeon. He is chief of thoracic surgery at the Georgia Cancer Center at the Medical College at Augusta University. He specializes in the treatment of lung cancer and malignant pleural mesothelioma.
Get to Know Dr. Daniel L. Miller
Thoracic surgeon Dr. Daniel Miller plays a prominent role in the multidisciplinary, patient-centered approach to treatment at the Georgia Cancer Center at the Medical College at Augusta University, which he joined in 2021 as surgical director.
He previously served at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Atlanta.
In his career, Miller helped pioneer the minimally invasive surgical techniques being used by doctors today for complex malignancies such as mesothelioma and new interventions with metastatic pleural diseases.
For more than two decades, Miller has treated patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, performing both the pleurectomy and decortication and extrapleural pneumonectomy surgeries.
Part of the operations include using adjuvant pleural lavage, a technique designed to eliminate any microscopic tumor cells that evaded the surgeon.
Miller has published more than 130 articles and book chapters dealing with thoracic malignancies.
Specialties of Dr. Daniel L. Miller
- Thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Pleural lavage
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
- Advanced lung cancer
- Esophageal malignancies
Dr. Daniel L. Miller’s Experience and Medical Education
- Georgia Cancer Center at Augusta University
- Cancer Centers of America, Atlanta
- University of Louisville Hospital
- Winship Cancer Institute
- Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation (Fellowship)
- Georgetown University Hospital (Residency and fellowship)
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in thoracic surgery
- Professor of surgery, Georgia Regents University
- American Board of Surgery
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer, Castle Connolly
- Atlanta magazine’s Top Doctors in Atlanta
Publications of Dr. Daniel L. Miller
- Miller, D.L. et al. (2020, June). Dehydrated Human Amnion/Chorion Membrane (Placenta) Reduces Anastomotic Leaks after Esophagectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Miller, D.L., Helms, G.A. & Mayfield, W.R. (2017, November). Evaluation of Esophageal Anastomotic Integrity With Serial Pleural Amylase Levels. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Miller, D.L. et al. (2011, November). Chest Wall Reconstruction Using Biomaterials. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Miller, D. & Mansour, K.A. (2007, February). Blunt Traumatic Lung Injuries. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.