Get to Know Dr. Hirva Mamdani
Medical oncologist Dr. Hirva Mamdani was raised in a family of physicians, which sparked her passion for working tirelessly toward new and better treatments for cancer patients.
Mamdani specializes in thoracic oncology, particularly lung cancer and mesothelioma, at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. She focuses her research on improving therapeutics for these tough-to-treat malignancies.
“In this field, you are constantly thinking about the science of cancer, and then applying that science and knowledge to find more treatment options for the patients,” she said.
Much of Mamdani’s work involves immunotherapy combinations and personalization of treatment, giving each patient the best chance to succeed.
The Karmanos Cancer Institute, which has more than 100 top doctors, is known for translational research that takes laboratory breakthroughs quickly into the clinic. It has become one of the most preferred cancer treatment facilities in the state of Michigan.
Specialties of Dr. Hirva Mamdani
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal cancer
Dr. Hirva Mamdani’s Experience and Medical Education
- Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Indiana University School of Medicine (Fellowship)
- Wayne State University (Residency)
- M.P. Shah Medical College (India)
- ASCO/AACR Methods in Clinical Cancer Research workshop
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Indiana Oncology Society Research Fellow Award
- Outstanding Senior Resident of the Year Award, Wayne State University
- Investigator Award, Hoosier Cancer Research Network
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (Member)
- American Association for Cancer Research (Member)
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Hirva Mamdani, M.D.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the immunotherapy combination of nivolumab (Opdivo) and ramucirumab (Cyramza) for patients with previously treated mesothelioma.
Publications of Dr. Hirva Mamdani
- Mamdani, H. et al. (2017, May 29). Excellent Response to Anti-PD-1 Therapy in a Patient with Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Case Report and Review of Literature. Discover Medicine.
- Mamdani, H. & Jalal, S. (2016, April). DNA repair in lung cancer: potential not yet reached. Journal of Lung Cancer Management.
- Mamdani, H. et al. (2010). Advances and Controversies in the Management of Locally Advanced Gastro-esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology and Treatment.