About Jessica Donington
Board Certified in Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
Pleural and Lung Cancer
Excellence in Research
Get to Know Dr. Jessica Donington
Thoracic surgeon Dr. Jessica Donington joined the University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center in 2018 as the first chief of the newly created section of thoracic surgery.
With more than 20 years of experience, she brought the leadership skills that have helped build her reputation for excellence in developing a personalized, multidisciplinary approach to treating patients.
Donington’s research focuses on discovering novel biomarkers that can lead to early detection and treatment of lung cancer. She advocates for low-dose CT screening in high-risk populations, working tirelessly to reduce lung cancer mortality.
Before coming to Chicago, Donington spent more than 10 years at New York’s renowned Langone Medical Center, where she worked closely with Dr. Harvey Pass, a famed mesothelioma doctor.
They collaborated on several studies in New York, sparking Donington’s interest and current expertise in treating mesothelioma.
She has excelled in developing treatment options for high-risk patients, particularly with minimally invasive procedures and a multidisciplinary approach.
Donington sees patients at University of Chicago Medicine Orland Park and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine.
Specialties of Dr. Jessica Donington
- Thoracic surgery
- Pleurectomy and decortication
- Lung cancer
- Robotic surgery
- VATS lobectomy
- Mediastinal tumors
Dr. Jessica Donington’s Experience and Medical Education
- University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center
- New York University Langone Medical Center
- Stanford University Medical Center
- National Institutes of Health (Fellowship)
- Georgetown University (Residency)
- Rush Medical College, Chicago (M.D.)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- American Society for Radiation (Honorary member)
- Women in Thoracic Surgery (Past president)
- Annals of Thoracic Surgery (Editorial board)
- Journal of Thoracic Oncology (Editorial board)
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- Society of University Surgeons
Find a Mesothelioma Doctor
Connect with top mesothelioma doctors and cancer centers to get the best treatment.Find a Doctor
Publications of Dr. Jessica Donington
- Donington, J. & Patel, J. (2020, May). The Rapidly Changing World of Thoracic Surgery. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.
- Ceppa, D. et al. (2020, April). Sexual Harassment and Cardiothoracic Surgery: #UsToo? The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Donington, J. (2019, April). Commentary: The need to RIOT (return to intended oncologic treatment) after lung cancer surgery. Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery.
Disclaimer: Dr. Jessica Donington has no professional affiliation with Asbestos.com.
2 Cited Article Sources
The sources on all content featured in The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com include medical and scientific studies, peer-reviewed studies and other research documents from reputable organizations.
UChicago Medicine. (n.d.). Jessica Donington, MD, MSCR.
Retrieved from: https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/find-a-physician/physician/jessica-donington
- ASTRO. (2018, October 3). Thoracic Surgeon Dr. Jessica Donington named 2018 ASTRO Honorary Member. Retrieved from: https://www.astro.org/News-and-Publications/News-and-Media-Center/News-Releases/2018/Thoracic-surgeon-Dr-Jessica-Donington-named-2018-A
How did this article help you?
What about this article isn’t helpful for you?
Did this article help you?
Share this article
Last Modified July 10, 2020