Dr. Konstantinos VotanopoulosSurgical Oncologist at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist
Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos is an innovative surgical oncologist using a personalized treatment approach for peritoneal mesothelioma at the Wake Forest Baptist Health Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Get to Know Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos
Surgical oncologist Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos has had great success treating peritoneal mesothelioma patients at the Wake Forest Baptist Health Comprehensive Cancer Center. He specializes in the combination of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, also known as the HIPEC procedure.
When appropriate, he may also use the combination treatment with other abdominal malignancies, such as ovarian, appendiceal and colon cancers.
“We believe every patient is different, not every patient is the same and not every tumor is the same,” he said. “We apply what we call personalized medicine to every single patient.”
Votanopoulos is a professor in the department of surgical sciences at Wake Forest School of Medicine, and also serves as director of the Wake Forest Organoid Research Center, which is using organoid technology to potentially redesign cancer treatment.
His latest study is aimed at creating a reproducible mechanism to help sustain the immune system’s adaptability to the changing tumor environment with mesothelioma.
Rare tumors, personalized medicine, adaptive immunity and drug development are themes within the Wake Forest Organoid Research Center.
Specialties of Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Colorectal cancer surgery
- Appendiceal cancer
- Cytoreductive surgery
- Lymph node surgery
- Soft tissue sarcoma surgery
Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos’ Experience and Medical Education
- Wake Forest Baptist Health
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute (Fellowship)
- Baylor College of Medicine (Residency)
- University of Athens (Ph.D.)
- Aristotle University School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in surgery
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (Member)
- Hellenic Society of Cancer Research (Member)
- Association of Academic Surgery (Member)
- American Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies (Member)
Publications of Dr. Konstantinos Votanopoulos
- Prendergast, K.M. et al. (2020, February). Features of synchronous versus metachronous metastasectomy in adrenal cortical carcinoma: Analysis from the US adrenocortical carcinoma database. Surgery.
- Enomoto, L.M. et al. (2020, January). Outcomes After Adjuvant Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for High-Risk Primary Appendiceal Neoplasms After Complete Resection. Annals of Surgical Oncology.
- Gamboa, A.C. et al. (2019, November). Lung Surveillance Strategy for High-Grade Soft Tissue Sarcomas: Chest X-Ray or CT Scan? Journal of the American College of Surgeons.
- Chouliaras, K. et al. (2019, September). Recurrence patterns after resection of retroperitoneal sarcomas: An eight-institution study from the US Sarcoma Collaborative. Journal of Surgical Oncology.