Dr. Sudish MurthyThoracic Surgeon
Dr. Sudish Murthy is the surgical director of the Center for Major Airway Disease at the Cleveland Clinic Cancer Institute. He is also part of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Get to Know Dr. Sudish Murthy
In addition to the leadership roles Dr. Sudish Murthy serves, he is also the Daniel and Karen Lee Endowed Chair in Thoracic Surgery and a staff thoracic surgeon in the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Miller Family Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute at Cleveland Clinic.
Murthy also serves roles at the Cleveland Clinic Transplant Center and the Taussig Cancer Institute. He is a professor of surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University.
His specialties include lung transplantation, mesothelioma treatment, general thoracic surgery, esophageal surgery and minimally invasive surgery that includes robotics, bronchoscopy, laparoscopic and thoracoscopic procedures.
Murthy’s research interests have focused on the tumor biology of thoracic malignancies, pulmonary metastases of renal cell cancer and endobronchial radioactive stent implantation. He received the Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award in 2005.
He earned his medical degree at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and a Ph.D. in pathology from the University of British Columbia. He then moved to Brigham and Women’s Hospital for a residency and fellowship in general surgery and thoracic surgery.
Murthy received the Janeway Prize for Top Achievement at Columbia, along with the Robert F. Loeb Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine.
Specialties of Dr. Sudish Murthy
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Minimally invasive surgery
Dr. Sudish Murthy’s Experience and Medical Education
- Cleveland Clinic
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (M.D.)
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Residency and fellowship)
Awards and Certifications for Dr. Sudish Murthy
- Janeway Prize for Top Achievement, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Robert F. Loeb Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine
- Merck Award for Outstanding Scholarship
- Top Doctor, Cleveland Magazine (2014)
- America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly (2014)
- Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Thoracic and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic (2013-2014)
Publications of Dr. Sudish Murthy
- Ahmad, U. & Murthy, S.C. (2020, October). Updates in Thoracic Surgery and Oncology. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America.
- Marciniak, D.A. et al. (2020, September). Intercostal Blocks with Liposomal Bupivacaine in Thoracic Surgery: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia.
- Tang, A. et al. (2020, June). Non-small cell lung cancer in never- and ever-smokers: Is it the same disease? Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.