Get to Know Dr. Aaron S. Mansfield
Dr. Aaron Mansfield is a medical oncologist and translational scientist specializing in lung cancer and mesothelioma treatment at Minnesota’s Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
He believes immunotherapy, which allows a patient’s own immune system to fight cancer cells, will change the way doctors treat patients in the future.
When he isn’t seeing patients, Mansfield is immersed in basic research and clinical trials that benefit current and future patients, discovering what works and doesn’t work well, and helping move new therapies through the approval process. Mansfield’s research involves the development of drugs that will fight mesothelioma and slow tumor growth.
“Immunotherapy is not a cure-all. And you can’t get overly optimistic for the reality of what it does,” he said. “But for a subset of patients, they are going to do better, and with few side effects. I can’t predict, but my hope is that these [drugs] become standard of care.”
Mansfield graduated from the University of California-Irvine School of Medicine in 2006. He did his residency and fellowship in internal medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, where he stayed and served as a clinical investigator in 2013.
Specialties of Dr. Aaron S. Mansfield
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Coordinating multidisciplinary care for thoracic cancer
Dr. Aaron S. Mansfield’s Experience and Medical Education
- University of California-Irvine School of Medicine (M.D.)
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (Residency and fellowships)
- Board certified in medical oncology and hematology
Dr. Aaron S. Mansfield’s Awards and Certifications
- Excellence in Teaching, Mayo Clinic (2013 and 2018)
- Top Reviewer, Journal of Thoracic Oncology (2016)
- Excellence in Clinical Teaching (2014)
- Tow Shung Tan Humanism in Medicine Award, Mayo Clinic (2013)
- Hematology/Oncology Outstanding Achievement Award, Mayo Clinic (2013)
- Ed Creagan Melanoma Research Award, Mayo Clinic (2013)
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Aaron S. Mansfield, M.D.
- A phase II/III study in subjects with malignant pleural mesothelioma to assess ADI-PEG 20 with pemetrexed and cisplatin.
- Pembrolizumab with or without anetumab ravtansine in treating patients with mesothelin-positive pleural mesothelioma.
Publications of Dr. Aaron S. Mansfield
- Shah, K.K. et al. Correlation of novel ALK(ATI) with ALK immunohistochemistry and clinical outcomes in metastatic melanoma. Histopathology.
- Cathcart-Rake, E.J. et al. A Population-based Study of Immunotherapy-related Toxicities in Lung Cancer. Clinical Lung Cancer.
- Orme, J.J. et al. Therapeutic plasma exchange clears circulating soluble PD-L1 and PD-L1-positive extracellular vesicles. Journal for Immunotherapy of Cancer.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?