Get to Know Dr. Alan Dal Pra
Dr. Alan Dal Pra is the medical director of radiation oncology and a key figure in the multidisciplinary treatment of pleural mesothelioma at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center in Miami.
He was one of the first physicians to treat mesothelioma patients with Tumor Treating Fields, a novel cancer therapy that limits tumor growth with alternating electrical fields.
Tumor Treating Fields was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use with mesothelioma in 2019, the first new therapy approval since 2004.
As part of treatment for thoracic cancers, Dal Pra also has embraced the addition of immunotherapy in combination with standard of care. In the department of radiation oncology, he serves as associate director of clinical research.
Dal Pra also treats prostate, bladder, kidney and adrenal cancers. Through the COVID-19 pandemic, he played a major role in virtual multidisciplinary clinics that addressed several cancers, including mesothelioma.
Specialties of Dr. Alan Dal Pra
- Radiation oncology
- Tumor Treating Fields
- Genitourinary oncology
- Thoracic tumors
- Clinical and translational research
- Mesothelioma cancer
- Lung cancer
Dr. Alan Dal Pra’s Experience and Medical Education
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Inselspital, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
- Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil (M.D.)
- Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, University of Toronto (Fellowship)
- McGill University, Montreal (Fellowship)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Canadian Association of Radiation Oncology Reviewers’ Choice Award
- ESMO Preceptorship on Prostate Cancer
- Best Scientific Papers, Brazilian Meeting of Radiation Oncology
- AACR Aspen Workshop: Molecular Biology
- Canadian Urology Oncology Group and Amgen Research Award
- 1st Sao Paulo School of Translational Science
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Alan Dal Pra, M.D.
- A phase III clinical trial measuring the efficacy of chemotherapy and radiation therapy work with or without atezolizumab in treating patients with localized bladder cancer.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the efficacy of salvage radiotherapy plus metformin in comparison to the radiotherapy without metformin after prostate failure.
Publications of Dr. Alan Dal Pra
- Panje, C. et al. (2019, October 16). Radiotherapy for Pelvic Nodal Recurrences After Radical Prostatectomy: Patient Selection in Clinical Practice. Radiation Oncology.
- Malla, B., Aebersold, D.M. & Dal Pra, A. (2018, August 13). Protocol for Serum Exosomal miRNAs Analysis in Prostate Cancer Patients Treated with Radiotherapy. Journal of Translational Medicine.
- Malla, B. et al. (2017, August 1). Exosomes and Exosomal MicroRNAs in Prostate Cancer Radiation Therapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology.
- Fraser, M. et al. (2017, January 19). Genomic Hallmarks of Localized, Non-Indolent Prostate Cancer. Nature.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?