Get to Know Dr. Armando Sardi
Surgical oncologist Dr. Armando Sardi has been a pioneer in advancing the treatment of peritoneal malignancies, earning his reputation with an ability to successfully treat late-stage, complex cancers.
He was one of the first to use the combination of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), which has extended survival time dramatically for patients diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma.
Sardi continues refining and improving the procedure, performing an estimated eight to 10 each month for various abdominal cancers. He has successfully treated patients that others have turned away.
His reputation has attracted mesothelioma patients from across the country, many of whom have lived far beyond initial expectations.
Sardi also treats patients with a wide variety of abdominal disorders, including tumors of the digestive system and gastrointestinal tract, thyroid, pancreas and liver. He treats colorectal and appendiceal cancers.
As co-chair of the cancer committee at Mercy, he is active on the tumor board, which includes surgeons, oncologists, radiologists and nurses who meet regularly to collaborate and discuss each case.
Sardi was named to the “100 Most Influential Expatriates” list in Colombia, where his nonprofit, Partners for Cancer Care and Prevention, has helped thousands.
Specialties of Dr. Armando Sardi
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Cytoreductive surgery
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Hepatic artery embolization
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Colorectal cancer
Dr. Armando Sardi’s Experience and Medical Education
- Institute for Cancer Care, Mercy Medical Center
- Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia (M.D.)
- Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (Fellowship)
- Saint Agnes Hospital (Residency)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- 100 Most Influential Expatriates (Colombia)
- Medical Geniuses that Make Colombia Proud
- Hispanic Hero Award for Excellence, Medical/Social Entrepreneur
- America’s Top Doctors
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Dr. Armando Sardi
- Clinical trial studying the gastrointestinal microbiome of appendiceal cancer for patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the toxicity of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in advanced stage ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer.
Sardi is a Pioneer of Peritoneal Malignancies Treatment
Sardi has spent considerable time training others on the cytoreduction and HIPEC combination, traveling the world talking about how to treat abdominal cancers most effectively.
“Cytoreduction is not going in and removing a few tumors. Cytoreduction is going in and doing an extensive surgery,” he said. “Unfortunately, it still is being done the wrong way in a lot of places. Too many patients are still being told there is nothing they can do, when there actually is something they can do.”
Sardi has authored more than 120 medical papers, many of which describe his pioneering work with peritoneal malignancies.
“Mesothelioma is a rare disease, which is why it is so frequently mismanaged,” he said. “People don’t know how to deal with it, don’t know how to treat it. That’s the real problem still today, and people are being hurt by that.”
Publications of Dr. Armando Sardi
- Sardi, A. et al. (2019, July 5). Overcoming Barriers in the Implementation of Programs for Breast and Cervical Cancers in Cali, Colombia: A Pilot Model. Journal of Global Oncology.
- Sardi, A. et al. (2018, May 2). Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in seven patients with peritoneal sarcomatosis from uterine sarcoma. Clinical Case Reports.
- Sardi, A. et al. (2017, November). Multi-institutional study of peritoneal sarcomatosis from uterine sarcoma treated with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. European Journal of Surgical Oncology.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?