Dr. Daniel H. StermanPulmonologist
Dr. Daniel H. Sterman is the director of the Multidisciplinary Pulmonary Oncology Program at the New York University Langone Medical Center.
Get to Know Dr. Daniel Sterman
Dr. Daniel Sterman specializes in interventional pulmonology, combining his innovative research with minimally invasive procedures to better diagnose and treat patients with various thoracic cancers.
Sterman joined New York University Langone Health and the Perlmutter Cancer Center as Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine director in 2014.
He works closely with thoracic surgeons and medical oncologists to treat patients with malignant mesothelioma and various lung diseases.
In the mesothelioma community, Sterman has been a long-time pioneer in the development of genetic immunotherapy, finding ways for a patient’s own immune system to fight cancer.
As a scientist and physician, he helps diagnose and manage benign disorders and cancers affecting the lungs. He determines the staging of a patient’s condition, and his treatments often lead to prolonging and improving quality of life.
“We don’t have all the answers, but we’re trying to find them,” Sterman said. “It’s why I come back every day, excited about going to work.”
Specialties of Dr. Daniel Sterman
- Interventional pulmonology
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Pleural effusions
- Tracheal stenosis
- Mediastinal tumors
Dr. Daniel Sterman’s Experience and Medical Education
- New York University Langone Medical Center
- Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania
- NYU Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery (Professor)
- University of Pennsylvania, Cardiovascular Research Group (Fellowship)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System (Residency)
- Cornell University Medical College (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications for Dr. Daniel Sterman
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Pulmonary disease)
- American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology (Past president)
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Daniel Sterman, M.D.
- A phase III clinical trial studying the effectiveness of adenovirus-delivered Interferon Alpha-2b, in combination with celecoxib and gemcitabine, for mesothelioma patients who have failed an earlier treatment regimen.
Publications of Dr. Daniel Sterman
- Tsay, J. et al. (2020, September 2). Value of metalloproteinases in predicting COPD in heavy urban smokers. Respiratory Research.
- Mukherjee, V. et al. (2020, August). Clinical Outcomes in Critically Ill Coronavirus Disease 2019 Patients: A Unique New York City Public Hospital Experience. Critical Care Explorations.
- DeMaio, A. & Sterman, D. (2020, June 30), Bronchoscopic intratumoural therapies for non-small cell lung cancer. European Respiratory Review.