Get to Know Dr. Harvey Pass
Pass sees patients today in New York City at the Perlmutter Cancer Center, part of NYU Langone Health.
He serves as chief of thoracic oncology at Perlmutter Cancer Center and director of general thoracic surgery, leading a multidisciplinary effort covering a range of diseases.
Pass is passionate about his research and the quest for early detection of thoracic malignancies such as mesothelioma to ensure a greater chance of survival.
He is well known for his insightful and compassionate care of patients, many of whom travel long distances to seek his support. He and his staff take a highly personalized approach to treatment.
Before joining NYU Langone Health, Pass served at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit and the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, where he ran his own laboratory and designed his clinical trials.
Specialties of Dr. Harvey I. Pass
- Thoracic surgery
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Robotic surgery
- Clinical research
Dr. Harvey Pass’ Experience and Medical Education
- Perlmutter Cancer Center
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- National Cancer Institute
- National Institutes of Health (Fellowship)
- Medical University of South Carolina (Residency)
- University of Mississippi (Residency)
- Duke University School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Wagner Medal, International Mesothelioma Interest Group
- Innovator Award for International Collaboration in Cancer Research, Landon Foundation
- America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly
- Top Doctors in the New York Metro Area
- Director, general thoracic surgery, New York Harbor Healthcare VA Hospital
Publications of Dr. Harvey I. Pass
- Tsay, J. et al. (2020, November 11). Lower airway dysbiosis affects lung cancer progression. Cancer Discovery.
- Chang, S. et al. (2020, November 5). Safety of patients and providers in lung cancer surgery during COVID-19 pandemic. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Pass, H. et al. (2020, August 1). Mesothelioma Biomarkers: Discovery in Search of Validation. Thoracic Surgery Clinics.
- Pass, H. (2020, April 7). Commentary: Tasting individual ingredients of meso soup: Can ‘omics bring out the flavor? The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Geraci, T. et al. (2020, July 1). Robotic Sleeve Resection of the Airway: Outcomes and Technical Conduct Using Video Vignettes. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?