Get to Know Dr. Gregory A. Otterson
As co-director of the Thoracic Oncology Program for the Division of Medical Oncology at the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Gregory Otterson has been a leader in development of novel targeted treatments.
His clinical experience and research have led to therapeutic advancements with malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, thymus cancers and pleural disease.
Treating both early-stage and advanced disease, Otterson has earned his role as a guidelines panelist for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. He also serves as clinical director of the Thoracic Oncology Disease Specific Research Group and professor of internal medicine at Ohio State.
Otterson was recently ranked among the top 10% of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, a reflection of his dedication to helping others in any way he can.
“Every day I go to the clinic, the thing that moves me tremendously is the individual and his family sitting in front of me, asking for help. Whether I can help them by a molecular targeted agent, or by a new clinical trial, or by supportive measures — sometimes all three of those – are really what’s appropriate,” he said. “That’s what floats my boat and hopefully moves things forward, so we can get better next year.”
Earlier in his career, Otterson was part of a phase II clinical trial that explored the effectiveness of capecitabine for patients with mesothelioma. He now works closely with specialists such as surgeons, pathologists, radiologists and pulmonologists in a multidisciplinary approach, to make sure patients are getting the best care possible.
Specialties of Dr. Gregory A. Otterson, M.D.
Dr. Gregory A. Otterson’s Experience and Medical Education
- The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
- The Ohio State University Medical Center (Professor)
- National Cancer Institute (Fellowship)
- Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s School of Medicine, Chicago (Residency, Internship)
- Georgetown University School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Medical Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors (2006-2019)
Publications of Dr. Gregory A. Otterson
- Paz-Ares, L. et al. (2022, October 11). First-Line Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: 4-Year Outcomes From the Randomized, Open-Label, Phase 3 CheckMate 227 Part I Trial. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- Guo, Y. et al. (2022, January 8). Serum Albumin: Early Prognostic Marker of Benefit for Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Monotherapy But Not Chemoimmunotherapy. Clinical Lung Cancer.
- Williams, T. et al. (2021, November 1). A Phase II Trial of Primary Tumor SBRT Boost Prior to Concurrent Chemoradiation for Locally-Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology.