Get to Know Dr. John Cho
Cho is the principal investigator in the latest trial with the acronym SMARTEST, which is Surgery for Mesothelioma After Radiation Therapy using Exquisite Systemic Therapy.
Cho works closely with thoracic surgeon Dr. Marc de Perrot, another specialist in pleural mesothelioma. His research interests also include stereotactic body radiation therapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy.
Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto, Canada, was one of the first to study targeted radiation prior to major surgery, recognizing the way it could reduce or slow any tumor recurrence.
“This is the latest, greatest version,” Cho said. “We’re taking the next step.”
Specialties of Dr. John Cho
- Clinical trials
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
Dr. John Cho’s Experience and Education
- Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- University of Toronto, Department of Radiation Oncology
- University of Amsterdam, Faculty of Medicine
- Queens University, Ontario
Awards and Certifications
- Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Radiation Oncologist, University Health Network
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Canada
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under John Cho, M.D.
- A phase 2 clinical trial called SMARTER, designed to evaluate the use of sub-ablative radiation and cyclophosphamide prior to aggressive surgery, which is followed by the immunotherapy combination of tremelimumab and durvalumab.
Publications of Dr. John Cho
- Cho, J. et al. (2021, February). Surgery for malignant pleural mesothelioma after radiotherapy (SMART): final results from a single-centre, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncology.
- Cho, J. & Perrot, M. (2020, July 30). Radiotherapy in the era of immunotherapy: teaching an old dog new tricks. European Respiratory Journal.
- Cho, J. (2017, June). The rationale for neoadjuvant radiation therapy in malignant pleural mesothelioma: how smart is SMART? Annals of Translational Medicine.
- Cho, J. (2017, February 1). Pre-operative Radiation Therapy with Surgery. International Journal of Radiation, Oncology, Biology, Physics.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?