Dr. John DeRosimoThoracic Surgeon
Thoracic surgeon Dr. John DeRosimo treats patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma at the Miami Cancer Institute at Baptist Health South Florida.
Get to Know Dr. John DeRosimo
Dr. John DeRosimo performs the potentially curative pleurectomy and decortication operation and less-aggressive surgeries for mesothelioma, the rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure.
DeRosimo is an integral part of the mesothelioma program in Miami, which includes medical oncologists, radiologists and pulmonologists who also specialize in the disease.
He treats malignant and benign diseases of the lungs and esophagus. He also performs minimally invasive surgeries, including robotic surgery, for many of his patients.
DeRosimo joined the Miami Cancer Institute in 2011 after almost a decade performing thoracic surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina.
He made his decision to specialize in thoracic surgery during his fellowship training at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where he worked with famed mesothelioma specialist Dr. David Sugarbaker.
As part of the Miami Cancer Institute, DeRosimo is a big believer in the personalized and multimodal approach to therapy that has worked well for mesothelioma patients.
The institute’s Baptist Health affiliation includes access to an occupational and environmental medicine division that can monitor patients with known asbestos exposure, helping to diagnose cancer earlier.
Specialties of Dr. John DeRosimo
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal cancer
- Thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Benign and malignant disease
Dr. John DeRosimo’s Experience and Medical Education
- Miami Cancer Institute
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Fellowship)
- Case Western Reserve University (Residency)
- Albany Medical Center (Residency)
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Resident Golden Apple Teaching Award
- Healthgrades Honor Roll
Publications of Dr. John DeRosimo
- Garcia-Quintero, P. et al. (2015, March 5). Gastropleural fistula after bariatric surgery: a report of two cases. Journal of Robotic Surgery.
- Hogan, K.A. et al. (2009, March 1). Superior vena cava compression during posterior spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis. A case report. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
- Vincent, B.D. et al. (2008, January 1). Real-time Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Lymph Node Aspiration. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.