Get to Know Dr. Kiran K. Turaga
Dr. Kiran Turaga treats a wide range of abdominal and peritoneal diseases. He is the Division Chief of Surgical Oncology in the Department of Surgery and Assistant Medical Director for the Clinical Trials Office at Yale Cancer Center.
Before accepting his position at Yale Cancer Center, Turaga was the director of the Surgical Gastrointestinal Cancer Program at the University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center.
He spent six years at the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center, earning a reputation as a leading specialist in the field of asbestos-related disease.
Turaga has been very successful in treating peritoneal mesothelioma with the combination of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, known as HIPEC.
The heated, high-dose chemotherapy, which is used only in select cancer centers, is administered immediately after surgery and is designed to kill any remaining tumor cells.
Turaga has a special interest in treating advanced malignancies, including cancers that have spread beyond their original sites. He works on colon cancer, appendix cancer and malignant bowel obstructions.
Specialties of Dr. Kiran K. Turaga
Dr. Kiran K. Turaga’s Experience and Education
- Yale Cancer Center
- University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Fellowships)
- Creighton University Medical Center (Residency)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Sharon Wadina Endowed Professor in Sarcoma Research
- Lee Biblo Award for Professional Excellence
- Distinguished Faculty in Program Innovation award
- Bucksbaum Senior Faculty Scholar for Clinical Excellence
- General Surgery Board certified
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Kiran Turaga
- A clinical study to determine if experimental magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound imaging techniques can improve early detection of peritoneal mesothelioma.
Publications of Dr. Kiran Turaga
- Alter, R., Turaga, K. & Lengyel, E. (2020, August 3). Are We Ready for Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy in the Upfront Treatment of Ovarian Cancer? JAMA Network.
- Turaga, K. & Girotra, S. (2020, June 2). Are We Harming Cancer Patients by Delaying Cancer Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic? Annals of Surgery.
- Turaga, K. (2019 April 29). Editorial: It Is Time. Annals of Surgical Oncology.
- Sherman, S. et al. (2018, August 1). Estimating Surgical Risk for Patients With Severe Comorbidities. JAMA Surgery.