Get to Know Dr. Ory Wiesel
Thoracic surgeon Dr. Ory Wiesel joined Maimonides Medical Center in 2017, sparking the creation of the multidisciplinary Brooklyn mesothelioma program, which is dedicated exclusively to treating this rare and aggressive cancer.
Wiesel works alongside Dr. Jason Shaw and Dr. Igor Brichkov, both part of the thoracic surgery cancer program at Maimonides.
They collaborate with pulmonologists, pathologists, radiologists and medical oncologists to discuss each patient, developing a personalized mesothelioma treatment plan for each.
“All the needs for a patient are here in one place,” Wiesel said. “Patients should have options, and we can provide them here.”
Before Wiesel, patients looking for a mesothelioma specialty program previously traveled to Manhattan or beyond, adding to an already difficult burden.
Wiesel brought to Brooklyn much of what he learned in Boston at the highly acclaimed International Mesothelioma Program at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He trained under thoracic surgeon Dr. Raphael Bueno in a program designed by the renowned Dr. David Sugarbaker.
Maimonides also has the only full-service cancer center and fully accredited breast cancer center in Brooklyn. It is known for its cutting-edge research and technology and a philosophy focused on the whole person, not just the cancer.
Specialties of Dr. Ory Wiesel
- Thoracic surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- NIR image-guided surgery
Dr. Ory Wiesel’s Experience and Medical Education
- Maimonides Medical Center
- Harvard Medical School (Fellowship)
- Tel Aviv Medical Center (Residency)
- Semmelweis University (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- New York state medical license
- Massachusetts state medical license
- Khuri Shukri Award (2017)
- Graham Foundation Robotic Fellowship Award (2015)
Publications of Dr. Ory Wiesel
- Wiesel, O. et al. (2020, September). Midline Approach for Surgical Stabilization of High Anterior Chest Wall Fractures. Israel Medical Association Journal.
- Liang, H. et al. (2020, March). Perioperative chemoimmunotherapy in a patient with stage IIIB non-small cell lung cancer. Annals of Translational Medicine.
- Grondell, J. et al. (2018, July). Postoperative Bedside Critical Care of Thoracic Surgery Patients. American Journal of Critical Care.
- Wiesel, O., Jaklitsch, M.T. & Fisichella, P.M. (2016, February 16). Three-dimensional printing models in surgery. Surgery, Case Reports.