About Dr. Wickii Vigneswaran
Dr. Vigneswaran is an internationally known thoracic surgeon at the Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Illinois, which is just outside Chicago.
Vigneswaran worked previously at Loyola University from 1998 to 2005 before joining the nearby University of Chicago Cancer Center, where he helped build programs for lung transplantation and mesothelioma treatment.
He returned to Loyola University Medical Center for a second role in 2016 when he was named chief of thoracic surgery.
“My goal in coming back to Loyola was to establish a nationally recognized thoracic oncology surgery program, which included advanced surgical treatment of mesothelioma,” he said.
He started Loyola’s unique mesothelioma tumor board — it includes surgeons, medical oncologists, radiologists, nurses — which meets biweekly to discuss each mesothelioma patient under Loyola’s care.
Vigneswaran is involved in lung and lung/heart transplantations. He treats all diseases of the lung, pleura and mediastinum, including tumors of the chest wall, esophageal cancer, tracheal cancer and lung cancer.
Vigneswaran has performed almost 300 surgeries for mesothelioma patients in his career, doing the aggressive extrapleural pneumonectomy and the lung-sparing but more detailed pleurectomy and decortication.
He has been a national leader in the belief that age alone should not be a deterrent to aggressive, potentially curative surgery for mesothelioma.
He also has extensive experience in minimally invasive robotics and video-assisted thoracic surgery, which is being used with different lung diseases.
“One of my goals is to provide, not just the best possible surgical care, but very tailored and individualized care for [mesothelioma],” he said. “Every case is different, and every case should be treated that way.”
In 2022, Chicago magazine named Vigneswaran a Top Cancer Doctor along with 28 other physicians from Loyola.
Dr. Vigneswaran’s Role as Medical Reviewer on Asbestos.com
Vigneswaran’s many years experience with mesothelioma patients, research work alongside other well-known mesothelioma researchers and specialists and board certifications in thoracic and cardiac surgery strengthen his role as a medical reviewer of mesothelioma information.
He makes sure all content on Asbestos.com is medically accurate and meets the medical and scientific standards of diagnosis and treatment of mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases.
Specialties of Dr. Wickii Vigneswaran
Experience and Medical Education
- Loyola University Medical Center
- University of Chicago Medical Center
- University of Illinois
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota (Fellowship)
- University of Colorado School of Medicine (Fellowship)
- University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (M.D.)
- Walsall General Hospital (Residency)
Awards and Recognition
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Thoracic Surgery, Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Publications of Dr. Wickii Vigneswaran
- Vigneswaran, W. et al. (2017 March) Amount of Epithelioid Differentiation Is a Predictor of Survival in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Williams, T. et al. (2015, November 1). Extended Pleurectomy and Decortication for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Is an Effective and Safe Cytoreductive Surgery in the Elderly. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Molberg, N. et al. (2012, October 1). Quality of Life After Radical Pleurectomy Decortication for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.