Suzanne Dixon, MPH, MS, RDNOncology Medical Writer
Suzanne Dixon combines her training in nutrition and epidemiology with her passion for helping those affected by mesothelioma. She turns complex medical science into essential cancer patient resources at The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com, the nation's most trusted mesothelioma resource.
Last modified: December 20, 2022
Suzanne Dixon is a registered dietitian, epidemiologist and experienced medical writer. She earned two master’s degrees in nutrition and epidemiology from the University of Michigan after completing a bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering.
Suzanne has served as a cancer patient educator and passionate advocate for nearly two decades. She has co-authored medical and nutrition journal articles and book chapters, contributed to numerous cancer-focused publications, and presented the latest research on the role of nutrition in managing lung disease at the American Lung Association’s 2019 Lung Force Expo.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Distinguished Service Award, 2016
- Award for Excellence, Business Consultation, 2010
- Award for Innovative Nutrition Education Programs for the Public, 2005
- Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, 2004
- Distinguished Practice Award, 2004
- Cincinnati Employee of the Year, 1993
Publications Suzanne has authored and co-authored include:
- Trujillo, E.B., Claghorn, K., Dixon, S., Hill, E.B., Braun, A. Lipinski, E., Platek, M., Vergo, M.T. and Spees, C. (2019). Inadequate Nutrition Coverage in Outpatient Cancer Centers: Results of a National Survey. Journal of Oncology.
- Trujillo, E.B., Dixon, S. W., Claghorn, K., Levin R.M., Mills, J.B., Spees, C.K. (2018). Closing the Gap in Nutrition Care at Outpatient Cancer Centers: Ongoing Initiatives of the Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 118, 749-60.
- Ligibel, J.A., Alfano, C.M., Hershman, D.L., Merrill, J.K., Basen-Engquist, K., Bloomgarden, Z.T., Demark-Wahnefried, W., Dixon, S., Hassink, S.G., Jakicic, J.M., Morton, J.M., Okwuosa, T.M., Powell-Wiley, T.M., Rothberg, A.E., Stephens, M., Streett, S.E., Wild, R.A., Westman, E.A., Williams, R.J., Wollins, D.S., Hudis, C.A. (2017). American Society of Clinical Oncology Summit on Addressing Obesity Through Multidisciplinary Provider Collaboration: Key Findings and Recommendations for Action. Obesity (Silver Spring)., 25 Suppl 2:S34-S39. doi: 10.1002/oby.21987
- Dixon S.W. Part Two of a Two-Part Series: Unconventional Diets in Cancer Care. Today’s Dietitian. 2016; 18(12):42.
- Dixon S.W. Part One of a Two-Part Series: Combatting Cancer Malnutrition. Today’s Dietitian. 2016; 18(11):42.
- Dixon S.W. The Role of RDs in Guiding Healthful Nutrition and Lifestyle Choices for Women with BRCA1 and 2 Mutations. Today’s Dietitian. 2016 (Online CE Course).
- Dixon, S.W. (2012). Nutrition in Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 28, 75-84.