Get to Know Dr. George Simon
Dr. George Simon brings more than two decades of clinical oncology translational research to his latest role as executive medical director of the Moffitt Cancer Center-AdventHealth clinical research unit in Celebration, Florida.
The collaboration between the two health care stalwarts, which began in 2019, is designed to advance cancer research and care, particularly for rare malignancies such as mesothelioma. It will also provide better access to treatment, clinical trials and screening opportunities.
“Two great institutions are partnering to form a clinical research unit,” Simon said. “There is a lot of potential here.”
Simon specializes in thoracic malignancies, including mesothelioma, lung cancer and thymoma, focusing on cutting-edge targeted therapies and immunotherapy.
He has begun working with Dr. Marcelo DaSilva, who started the Mesothelioma International Treatment Program at AdventHealth in 2019. They hope to collaborate on a specialized mesothelioma research program.
Simon is also a senior member of the Chemical Biology and Molecular Medicine Program at Moffitt, which studies optimal strategies to deliver the best possible personalized cancer care.
Specialties of Dr. George Simon
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Clinical trials
- Gene therapy
Dr. George Simon’s Experience and Medical Education
- Moffitt Cancer Center-AdventHealth clinical research unit, Celebration, Florida
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
- Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center
- University of Colorado Health Science Center (Fellowship)
- Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver (Residency)
- Christian Medical College, Punjab University (M.D.)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor Award
- America’s Top Doctor Award
- Houston’s Top Doctor Award
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under George Simon, M.D.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the immunotherapy combination of nivolumab (Opdivo) and ipilimumab (Yervoy) for patients with rare tumors, including pleural mesothelioma.
- A phase I clinical trial studying early efficacy and tolerability of AMV564 both alone and with pembrolizumab (Keytruda) for patients with advanced solid tumors.
Publications of Dr. George Simon
- Simon, G.R. et al. (2012). Preliminary indication of survival benefit from ERCC1 and RRM1-tailored chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: evidence from an individual patient analysis. Cancer.
- Simon, G.R. (2011). Personalized lung cancer treatment based on molecular determinants. Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association.
- Simon, G.R., Silvestri, G.A. (2011). You just can’t call it lung cancer anymore. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.