Get to Know Dr. George Simon
Dr. George Simon joined MD Anderson in 2014, bringing years of experience treating patients with various thoracic diseases to the cancer center. He has a strong belief in the multidisciplinary, individualized approach to therapy.
Simon is a professor of medicine and section chief in the Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology at MD Anderson.
He served previously as assistant director of clinical research at the Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center; director of thoracic oncology at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia; and as director of mesothelioma research at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida.
Simon works closely with thoracic surgeon Dr. David Rice and oncologist Dr. Anne Tsao in MD Anderson’s mesothelioma program, where patients are provided the latest, cutting-edge treatments.
As a leader in lung cancer research, he headed a clinical trial earlier in his career that led to the first treatment of the disease using gene therapy.
Simon’s research has centered on developing new, optimal mesothelioma treatments based on each patient’s molecular profile.
He has dedicated much of that research to understanding genetic predisposition for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
“Genetic predisposition for malignant pleural mesothelioma may play a strong role, such that even minimal or apparently inconsequential asbestos exposure may lead to tumor development,” he said.
Specialties of Dr. George Simon
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Clinical trials
- Gene therapy
Dr. George Simon’s Experience and Medical Education
- Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center
- Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa
- University of Colorado Health Science Center (Fellowship)
- St. Joseph Hospital, Denver (Residency)
- Christian Medical College, Vellore, India (Residency)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor Award
- America’s Top Doctor Award
- Houston’s Top Doctor Award
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Dr. George Simon
- A phase II clinical trial studying the immunotherapy combination of Opdivo (nivolumab) and Yervoy (ipilimumab) for patients with rare tumors, including pleural mesothelioma.
- A phase II clinical trial studying the use of treatment directed by genetic testing for patient with solid tumors or lymphomas that have progressed following standard of care treatment.
Publications of Dr. George Simon
- Simon, G.R. et al. (2012). Preliminary indication of survival benefit from ERCC1 and RRM1-tailored chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: evidence from an individual patient analysis. Cancer.
- Simon, G.R. (2011). Personalized lung cancer treatment based on molecular determinants. Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association.
- Simon, G.R., Silvestri, G.A. (2011). You just can’t call it lung cancer anymore. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?