Dr. Hassan A. KhalilThoracic Surgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Dr. Hassan Khalil is an instructor at Harvard Medical School and an innovative thoracic surgeon. He treats patients with mesothelioma and other thoracic malignancies at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and in the VA Boston Healthcare System.
Get to Know Dr. Hassan A. Khalil
Innovative thoracic surgeon Dr. Hassan Khalil sees patients with pleural mesothelioma and lung cancer at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
Khalil also treats patients throughout the VA Boston Healthcare System, which he joined in 2020 to help veterans with thoracic disease.
He specializes in minimally invasive and robotic surgery, emphasizing the importance of multidisciplinary care with thoracic and foregut diseases. He talks often to patients about the importance of their role in developing better individualized care.
As a member of the Harvard Medical School faculty, Khalil also lectures extensively about his studies at local, national and international summits.
His research focuses on epithelial-mesenchymal transition in lung cancer, mesothelioma and lung adenocarcinoma. His background in biomedical engineering has helped him become a leader in minimizing dangerous air leaks after lung surgery.
Khalil also treats emphysema, esophageal disease, achalasia, lymphoma and thymoma and thymic cancer.
Specialties of Dr. Hassan A. Khalil
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Esophageal cancer
- Pleurectomy and decortication surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
Dr. Hassan Khalil’s Experience and Medical Education
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- VA Boston Healthcare System
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Fellowship)
- UCLA Medical Center (Residency)
- University of Texas Medical School at Houston (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Board certified in general surgery
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching (2017)
- Shukri F. Khuri, MD Award for Excellence in Teaching and Clinical Care (2018)
Publications of Dr. Hassan A. Khalil
- Khalil, H. & Alzahrani, T. Cardiomyopathy Imaging. Florida: StatPearls Publishing, 2021.
- Khalil, H. & Soufi, S. Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis. Florida: StatPearls Publishing, 2020.
- Scott, A. et al. (2020, January). Comparison of Surgical and Cadaveric Intestine as a Source of Crypt Culture in Humans.
- Khalil, H.A. et al. (2019, May 31). Intestinal epithelial replacement by transplantation of cultured murine and human cells into the small intestine.