Get to Know Dr. Miguel Alvelo-Rivera
Dr. Miguel Alvelo-Rivera is a specialist in minimally invasive thoracic surgery and part of the multidisciplinary treatment team with MidMichigan Physicians Group.
He treats conditions throughout the chest area, including mesothelioma and lung cancer.
Alvelo-Rivera’s minimally invasive approach includes robotic, endoscopic, bronchoscopy and thoracoscopy techniques.
As part of the cancer care team, he works closely with medical oncologists, interventional radiologists, pulmonologists and lung health navigators to ensure each patient received the best, personalized care possible.
Alvelo-Rivera also performs the more aggressive surgery needed to treat mesothelioma.
He previously served at the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, the nearby Karmanos Cancer Institute at Wayne State and the Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Florida.
While at Moffitt in 2009, he performed the state of Florida’s first ever thoracoscopic pneumonectomy — a minimally invasive procedure — on a patient with lung cancer and severe emphysema.
Specialties of Dr. Miguel Alvelo-Rivera
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Chest wall surgery
- Tracheal surgery
- Minimally invasive lobectomy and esophagectomy
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Robotic surgery
Dr. Miguel Alvelo-Rivera’s Experience and Medical Education
- MidMichigan Health
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Henry Ford Health System
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- University of Pittsburgh (Fellowship)
- University of Puerto Rico (Residency)
- University of Puerto Rico, (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Esophageal Surgery Society
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- ACS Fellow
Publications of Dr. Miguel Alvelo-Rivera
- Kilic, A. et al. (2008, April 24). Minimally invasive myotomy for achalasia in the elderly. Surgical Endoscopy.
- Ashrafi, A. et al. (2007, January). Minimally invasive management of Boerhaave’s syndrome. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Luketich, J. et al. (2003, October). Minimally invasive esophagectomy: outcomes in 222 patients. Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you like to speak with a Patient Advocate?