Get to Know Dr. Patrick Forde
Dr. Patrick Forde is a medical oncologist who specializes in the treatment of pleural mesothelioma, lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center in Baltimore.
He played a major role in helping explore the immunotherapy combination of nivolumab and ipilimumab, which the FDA approved in 2020 for the treatment of mesothelioma. This was the first systemic approval for the asbestos disease in almost 15 years.
Forde has been principal investigator of several multicenter, international clinical trials involving mesothelioma and lung cancer. He also is an associate professor of oncology at John Hopkins Medicine.
As a clinician, he is part of the multidisciplinary approach to treatment at Sidney Kimmel, focusing on state-of-the-art, compassionate care for each of his patients.
Specialties of Dr. Patrick Forde
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Clinical trials
Dr. Patrick Forde’s Experience and Medical Education
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- St. James’s Hospital, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Fellowships)
- Cork University Hospital, Ireland (Fellowship)
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak (Residency)
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (Residency)
Awards and Certifications
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (Member)
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (Member)
- Translational Team Science Award, U.S. Department of Defense (2020)
- Team Science Award, Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (2020)
- Career Development Award, LUNGevity Lung Cancer Foundation (2014)
- Director’s Teaching Award in Clinical Science (2014)
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials Under Dr. Patrick Forde
- A phase II clinical trial studying the feasibility of the immunotherapy combination of nivolumab and ipilimumab as adjuvant therapy for mesothelioma following standard tri-modality treatment.
- A randomized phase III clinical trial studying the addition of immunotherapy drug durvalumab to standard of care chemotherapy for patients with unresectable mesothelioma.
Publications of Dr. Patrick Forde
- Reuss, J.E. et al. (2020, September 13). Neoadjuvant nivolumab plus ipilimumab in resectable non-small cell lung cancer. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer.
- Forde, P.M., Scherpereel, A. & Tsao, A.S. (2019 February 14). Use of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in Mesothelioma. Current Treatment Options in Oncology.
- Forde, P.M. et al. (2018, May 24). Neoadjuvant PD-1 Blockade in Resectable Lung Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine.
- Yeh, J., Marrone, K.A. & Forde, P.M. (2018, February). Neoadjuvant and consolidation immuno-oncology therapy in stage III non-small cell lung cancer. Journal of Thoracic Disease.