About Shirish Gadgeel
Pleural and Lung Cancer
Excellence in Research
Board Certified in Medical Oncology
Board Certified in Internal Medicine
Get to Know Dr. Shirish Gadgeel
Medical oncologist Dr. Shirish Gadgeel is a lung cancer specialist who joined the Henry Ford Cancer Institute in 2020, bringing more than 20 years of experience in clinical research.
Gadgeel treats a variety of thoracic malignancies, including pleural mesothelioma, the rare and aggressive disease typically caused by long-ago exposure to asbestos.
He has played an instrumental role in numerous multicenter clinical trials that have advanced treatments in recent years through the development of novel immunotherapy, including the use of the drug pembrolizumab (Keytruda).
Gadgeel is a big believer in personalized medicine and multidisciplinary care. Throughout his career, he has been involved in several mesothelioma research projects, including one with specialist Dr. Harvey Pass from New York City.
During his tenure at nearby Karmanos Cancer Institute, Gadgeel’s team of oncologists developed new screening and detection tests for mesothelioma and finished a clinical study of novel mesothelioma therapeutics.
Before joining Henry Ford, he spent three years at University of Michigan Medicine and the Rogel Cancer Center, where he served as a research professor in thoracic oncology.
Specialties of Dr. Shirish Gadgeel
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Clinical trials
- Thoracic malignancies
Dr. Shirish Gadgeel’s Experience and Medical Education
- Henry Ford Cancer Institute
- University of Michigan Medicine/Rogel Cancer Center
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Wayne State University (Fellowship and residency)
Awards and Other Recognitions
- Lung Cancer Committee of Southwest Oncology Group
- Clinical Lung Cancer (Associate editor)
- National Cancer Institute, Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (Communications committee member)
- Journal of Clinical Oncology (Reviewer)
Publications of Dr. Shirish Gadgeel
- Sankar, K., Gadgeel, S.M. & Quin, A. (2020, July 7). Molecular therapeutic targets in non-small cell lung cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy.
- Kumar, S. et al. (2020, July). Alternative Multidisciplinary Management Options for Locally Advanced NSCLC During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Global Pandemic. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- Watza, W. et al. (2019, December 12). COPD-dependent effects of genetic variation in key inflammation pathway genes on lung cancer risk. International Journal of Cancer.
- Shaw, A. et al. (2019, June 1). ALK Resistance Mutations and Efficacy of Lorlatinib in Advanced Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clinical Trial.
Disclaimer: Dr. Shirish Gadgeel has no professional affiliation with Asbestos.com.
4 Cited Article Sources
The sources on all content featured in The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com include medical and scientific studies, peer-reviewed studies and other research documents from reputable organizations.
Henry Ford Health System. (n.d.). Shirish M. Gadgeel, MD.
Retrieved from: https://www.henryford.com/physician-directory/g/gadgeel-shirish
Clandos, R. (2018, April 16). Remarkable Immunotherapy Trial Changes Advanced Lung Cancer Treatment.
Retrieved from: https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/lab-report/remarkable-immunotherapy-trial-changes-advanced-lung-cancer-treatment
Rogel Cancer Center Michigan Medicine. (n.d.). Tips of Selecting an Oncologist and Cancer Treatment Center.
Retrieved from: https://www.rogelcancercenter.org/living-with-cancer/treatment-choices/tips-selecting-oncologist-and-cancer-treatment-center
- Rogel Cancer Center Michigan Medicine. (n.d.). Shirish Madhave Gadgeel MBBS. Retrieved from: https://www.rogelcancercenter.org/physicians/shirish-madhav-gadgeel-mbbs
How did this article help you?
What about this article isn’t helpful for you?
Did this article help you?
Share this article
Last Modified August 21, 2020