Dr. Sophie DessureaultSurgical Oncologist
Dr. Sophie Dessureault is a surgical oncologist at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. She handles peritoneal mesothelioma, the rare and aggressive asbestos-related cancer that starts in the abdominal lining.
Get to Know Dr. Sophie Dessureault
Dr. Sophie Dessureault received her medical degree and graduated with distinction from Dalhousie University School of Medicine in Halifax, Nova Scotia. After medical school, she pursued a surgical residency and a Ph.D. in the Surgical Scientist Program at the University of Toronto.
She underwent her surgical oncology fellowship in 1999 at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute in Tampa, Florida. She was the surgeon involved in Moffitt’s groundbreaking study that detailed the benefits of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, also known as HIPEC.
Dessureault has extensive knowledge utilizing this treatment for patients with peritoneal mesothelioma, the rare and aggressive asbestos-related cancer that develops in the abdominal lining.
She is also an associate professor at the University of South Florida’s College of Medicine. She has won the Society of Surgical Oncology Young Investigator Award and the American Society of Clinical Oncology Career Development Award.
In addition to over 20 years of experience, Dessureault is widely published and is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Society of Surgical Oncology, Royal College of Surgeons of Canada and Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Specialties of Dr. Sophie Dessureault
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy
- Cytoreductive surgery
Dr. Sophie Dessureault’s Experience and Medical Education
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida (Fellowship)
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario (Residency)
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (M.D.)
Awards and Certifications
- Society of Surgical Oncology Young Investigator Award
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Development Award
Publications of Dr. Sophie Dessureault
- Kubi, B. et al. (2020, November). Predictors of Nonhome Discharge after Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC. Journal of Surgical Research.
- Leiting, J.L. et al. (2020, July 15). Comparison of open and closed hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy: Results from the United States hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy collaborative. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology.
- Powers, B.D. et al. (2020, April 21). Repeat Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Is Not Associated with Prohibitive Complications: Results of a Multiinstitutional Retrospective Study. Annals of Surgical Oncology.
- Beal, E.W. et al. (2020, March). Trends in the indications for and short-term outcomes of cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. The American Journal of Surgery.
- Zaidi, M.Y. et al. (2019, October 10). Preoperative Risk Score for Predicting Incomplete Cytoreduction: A 12-Institution Study from the US HIPEC Collaborative. Annals of Surgical Oncology.