Anyone diagnosed with mesothelioma today is strongly encouraged to find a specialist who understands the intricacies of this rare cancer. Because the disease represents only 0.3 percent of all diagnosed cancers, only a select number of doctors have experience treating mesothelioma.
Several mesothelioma doctors across the nation have emerged as leaders in the field, utilizing the most advanced treatment methods to give patients a longer life expectancy. These doctors often work at prestigious hospitals equipped with cutting-edge technology, and many are involved with ongoing clinical trials. Some of the nation's most renowned mesothelioma doctors include:
One of the most important concerns is finding a doctor who you can trust completely with your care. You will want to evaluate the doctor's expertise while also getting comfortable with the head of a team charged with trying to save your life. Here are some questions to ask:
- How many years has this doctor been practicing?
- Do I want this doctor to make decisions for me or simply offer me options?
- Will this doctor respect my choices and address all of my concerns?
- Can I openly communicate with this doctor?
- Does this doctor accept my insurance?
- Is it easy to travel to this facility for all of my appointments?
- How many cases of mesothelioma has this doctor treated in his or her career? Have any of these cases been recent?
- What types of mesothelioma does this doctor treat? Has he or she managed any cases of my particular subtype?
- What treatments does this doctor typically use to treat mesothelioma?
- Is this doctor prepared to treat my cancer if it spreads to other parts of my body?
- Does this doctor support any supplemental types of therapy in addition to direct medical intervention?
- Does the facility this doctor is associated with offer access to any clinical trials? Can the doctor help me sign up for any that I might qualify for?