Because mesothelioma is so rare, representing about 0.3 percent of all diagnosed cancers annually, and has no known cure, people who have the disease are urged to find a specialist to treat it. Doctors trained in asbestos-related diseases typically provide the highest quality of care for mesothelioma patients.
It can be important for someone diagnosed with these diseases and their loved ones to learn more about these cancer specialists. Our Specialist Insight Series provides a behind-the-scenes snapshot of these doctors and why they do what they do. Find out why your doctor is special.
The Mesothelioma Center has a Doctor Match program to help you find and get appointments with mesothelioma experts at leading facilities across the country. Patient Advocates strive to find the leading specialists with the most resources to offer mesothelioma patients. Connect with a Patient Advocate or call (800) 615-2270 to take advantage of this free program.
How to Choose Your Mesothelioma Doctor
One of the most important concerns is finding doctor who you can trust. You will want to evaluate the doctor's expertise while also getting comfortable with the head of a team charged with trying to save your life. Here are some questions to ask:
- How many cases of mesothelioma has this doctor treated in his or her career? Have any of these cases been recent?
- What types of mesothelioma does this doctor treat? Has he or she managed any cases of my particular subtype?
- What treatments does this doctor typically use to treat mesothelioma?
- Is this doctor prepared to treat my cancer if it spreads to other parts of my body?
- Does this doctor support any supplemental types of therapy in addition to direct medical intervention?
- Does the facility this doctor is associated with offer access to any clinical trials? Can the doctor help me sign up for any that I might qualify for?
There are also some broad considerations that you should discuss with a potential doctor to make sure that the physician will be a good fit for you. These questions include:
- How many years has this doctor been practicing?
- Do I want this doctor to make decisions for me or simply offer me options?
- Will this doctor respect my choices and address all of my concerns?
- Can I openly communicate with this doctor?
- Does this doctor accept my insurance?
- Is it easy to travel to this facility for all of my appointments?
World-Renowned Mesothelioma Doctors
Several mesothelioma doctors across the nation have emerged as leaders in the field, utilizing the most advanced treatment methods to give patients a longer life expectancy. These doctors often work at prestigious hospitals equipped with cutting-edge technology, and many are involved with ongoing clinical trials.
Some of the nation’s most renowned mesothelioma doctors include:
Harvey Pass, M.D.
NYU Medical Center
For assistance making an appointment with one of these mesothelioma doctors or another nationally respected oncologist, please call the Mesothelioma Center at (800) 615-2270.